Friday, March 24, 2017

Carly Fisher Visits Section 36!

Photo by Robby Trottier
Section 36 has another visitor! Carly Fisher is my youngest visitor to date. The current Miss Boston's Outstanding Teen will be competing next month for the title of Miss Massachusetts' Outstanding Teen! She took a break from her preparations to talk with us about her time as Miss Boston's Outstanding Teen, and of course the Red Sox! I'm really glad she did.

So, let's see what happens when Carly Fisher visits Section 36!

What made you choose to compete for Miss Boston’s Outstanding Teen?
I've grown up around the Miss America Organization. My mom used to volunteer with a local pageant and my entire life I idolized the title holders and all that they were able to accomplish. When I had the opportunity to become I title holder myself, I couldn't pass it up.

With appearances and interview requests, how do you make sure your duties as Miss Boston’s Outstanding Teen don’t interfere with your schooling?
Carly (left) and her sister pose with Wally in 2011
Schooling always comes first. I go to a college preparatory catholic high school, so some of my classes can be demanding. Before I commit to an appearance or interview, I make sure it can fit into my busy schedule with school and sports commitments.

I love that your talent is “speed painting.” How did you decide
on that?
I've been sketching and drawing for as long as I can remember, and when I decided that I wanted to compete in the program, I found a way to bring that talent to the stage.  I painted Audrey Hepburn when I won Miss Boston's Outstanding Teen.  I'm painting another famous actress for the state pageant, and I'm really excited about that!

Your platform is The Martin Richard Foundation. What drew you to that choice?
In 8th grade I was at a leadership conference through Project 351 where Bill Richard (Martin's dad) spoke to us about Martin's message of "No More Hurting People. Peace". His message stuck with me,  leading to my involvement with the foundation.  I've run several fundraisers for the foundation, but what I enjoy the most is talking to young students about promoting projects they can do to help spread Martin's message of peace and keep his memory alive.

What lessons from the Miss Boston's Outstanding Teen competition can you bring with you to Miss Massachusetts' Outstanding Teen?
I've definitely learned to keep moving forward. I made a few mistakes on the day of the Miss Boston's Outstanding Teen pageant, but instead of getting nervous or giving up, I kept doing everything to the best of my ability that day. I hope the mistakes decrease at the Miss Massachusetts' Outstanding Teen pageant, but if they do happen, I know how to handle them and persevere.

Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
Carly in the cage, taking her cuts
Like a lot of people who are fans of the Red Sox, my favorite player had always been David Ortiz. Now that he has retired, I'm going to have to watch this season closely to find my new favorite.

I hear you’re a big fan of 70’s music. The Red Sox tend to play a lot of that genre at Fenway, especially with “Joy to the World” being played after victories. Which 70’s song do you think would be fun to hear at the park?
"September" by Earth, Wind, and Fire should be played at Fenway. It's such a  great song that you can't help but sing along to, and September is always such an exciting time in baseball.

I'm guessing this will be the first season you can remember where David Ortiz isn't on the Red Sox. What's your favorite David Ortiz memory?
Even though the most appropriate language wasn't used, my favorite memory was when Ortiz showed his love and passion for our city after the Boston Marathon bombing during his speech at Fenway.


How do you think the Red Sox will do this season?
Like any loyal Boston Red Sox fans, I think they can win it all this year!

---
Hard to argue with that!


As always, I want to give a huge thank you to Carly for taking the time to visit with us. Another big thank you to her for providing so many wonderful pictures to go along with the interview. They definitely made the post much better.

Be sure to keep track of Carly on the official Miss Boston's Outstanding Teen website and social media accounts:  Instagram and Facebook!

Thanks again for the visit Carly, and Good Luck next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week