Monday, October 28, 2019

Was C. C. Sabathia Any Good?

With the news of his retirement from baseball still fresh in my mind, I was thinking about Sabathia today. After retiring from such a long career, almost entirely in the American League, I wondered how he performed in games I attended. I assumed I had seen him pitch quite a bit, especially since joining the Yankees, and pitching against the Sox so often. So, I flipped through my scorebook so to see how Sabathia did while I was keeping score.



Twice. I saw him pitch twice? Not really sure how that's possible. I saw Mike Mussina pitch twice as often. But, twice it is. 

So, even though it's not exactly a representative sample, how did he do in the games I scored?

Well he went winless. He didn't exactly pitch shutouts. He was pretty much unimpressive in every way. Terrible, really. He did strike out 9 guys in just under 11 innings pitched. But, that not winning any awards.

His season projections are just as bad. We’ll even ignore the projected 0-16 record. An 8.82 ERA is practically criminal. That WHIP of 1.57 would be sure to annoy plenty of his fans and teammates as well.

So I think it's fair to say I didn't see the “real” Sabathia. Those people who think he’s a Hall of Famer would certainly agree. Once again, even though he's facing the Sox I always prefer to see stars be stars. I just hope the Red Sox are able to beat those stars.

This isn't one of those cases.

How did Sabathia do when you were in the park?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week