Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Was Jose Offerman Any Good?

There's a name I hadn't thought about in a while. But while flipping through my scorebook so recently, I kept seeing his name next to some pretty nice performances. So, I thought it was time to do another one of these exercises and see how he performed in games I scored.

Take a look.


Wow, that's a lot of games. Especially for a guy who was only in Boston for 3.5 seasons. In fact, I'm not sure if you can read any of these stats. So, here's a larger view of the totals.



Can I get another wow?

How is this guy not remembered more fondly? Either he performed like garbage is all the games I didn't attend, or he's vastly under appreciated. Remember when he was signed, and everyone laughed that he would replace some of Mo Vaughn’s OBP? Not only did he absolutely live up to that in games I attended, but he did a pretty good making up for Mo’s slugging as well.

Look at those projections! If the games I attended are stretched out to a full “Derek Jeter” season, he would score 141 runs thanks to 207 hits. His three homers would help him to an OPS juuuuuuuuust under 1.000. So when I was in the park, Jose Offerman was an elite player.

Not sure I would have guessed that. 

His numbers during his all-star 1999 first season were insane, by the way. He only went hitless in three of the 23 games I saw him in that season. He batted over .500 with a 1.252 OPS. I don't know how to process that.

So, was Offerman any good? He certainly was when I was in the park.

How did he do when you were watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week