Friday, September 13, 2019

Taylor Johnson Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has a new visitor! Taylor Johnson is a melanoma awareness advocate, a singer, and the current Miss Sussex County.
I was thrilled she was able to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So let's see what happens when Taylor Johnson visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Sussex County crown?
I celebrated winning Miss Sussex County with my sorority, Phi Mu! I initially had plans to hang out with sisters anyways but whenever I saw a sister that night, they congratulated me and I wasn’t expecting it! I was just hoping to have a fun night with my sisters, I wasn’t concerned about anyone recognizing my win.

What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss Sussex County? 
What surprised me the most about my time as Miss Sussex County actually just happened! I had received a few messages from sisters, and there’s a photo of my mom and I at Salisbury University’s Relay for Life which was held in April. That photo is being used as an advertisement to get students involved in campus activities and organizations. My mom and I are at the front of the line, and I’m wearing my Miss Sussex County sash. I was so touched and started crying. Not only will my legacy be documented for the next few years at SU, but there’s a more important reason to why I was so touched. Keep reading to find out!

You won a non-finalist award at the last Miss Delaware competition. What was that experience like?
I thought I was dreaming! After not making top 5 during a year I
really believed I had a shot, I thought I was aging out with no progress from my first year. And as a “veteran”, that is heartbreaking. But during the brunch the next day they handed out some awards and announced I won non-finalist on stage interview. I was floored. The best part was that my question had to do with my sorority and hazing, topics I am super passionate about. I had a wonderful time in Phi Mu at SU because I had a non-hazing experience.

What can you tell me about your social impact initiative “Protect the skin you’re in - melanoma awareness”?
Protect the Skin You’re In - Melanoma Awareness is in memory of my mom, who was a stage 3 melanoma skin cancer survivor, which has a 60% survival rate.The best way to summarize it is it’s about the dangers of indoor and outdoor tanning, and the side effects that you would never see coming. Side effects that weakened my mom, and ultimately took her life last month. In my social impact statement, I talk about how UV radiation builds up over time and doesn’t show up until later in life. For years, I have had people tell me “You have to die from something,” and now my comeback will consist of “Have you thought about the people you will be leaving behind then, and how they will feel?”. Skin Cancer isn’t just something you can cut out and be done with, and my mom learned that the hard way. I’m 25 and I don’t have a mom now because of melanoma. We need to start taking it seriously, because it is on the rise because of tanning ignorance. That’s why that photo at my alma mater means so much to me. SU had no clue what had happened, and they put that photo up eight days after she passed. It’s a sign that she’s still with me.

As a talented singer, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?
My favorite part would have to be is finding the perfect song and
nailing it. My talent for my final Miss Delaware pageant was “Journey to the Past” from Anastasia and so many people said it was my best performance. The last 40 seconds of the song you truly see my love for this piece come to life, and I wish I could show you! I almost cried, that’s how powerful it felt, and that has never happened before. The stage has been my home since I was 14, and it always will be.

What is your personal fitness routine?
Crossfit is how I’ve been working out the past three years. I haven’t been able to go since graduating in May, with everything that has been going on the past few months, but I miss it so much! My first few months I lost 10-15 pounds, so I swear by it. It’s the only thing that works for me.

Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
Andrew Benintendi, and please don’t judge me, but my reason why is because he’s my baseball crush. I saw that he retweeted a tweet, someone’s grandmother has his bobblehead, watches all his games and cuts out all his photos and he thought it was pretty cool. Some people could get weirded out about that stuff, but he was so sweet about it and I think that says a lot about his character.

Is there a feature or activity at Fenway Park that you’d especially like to experience?
I would love to do the Take Me to Fenway tour! I like being in control, and the words exclusive and private sold it to me (I’m a Virgo, and those words are my kryptonite). Fenway Park holds so much history, and it’s such an iconic park, getting to visit would be such an honor.

If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play at Fenway, who would you bring with you? Why?
I’d probably bring one of my fellow titleholders, Danielle Taylor (Miss First State) with me! I always have a blast with her, and she makes me laugh easily. Just my car rides with her are memorable, so a day trip like that I could never forget.

——

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

As always, I want to thank Taylor for doing this interview, and for allowing me to use the amazing pictures. They really make the post much better.

As Taylor continues her time as Miss Sussex County, I encourage you to follow her on her official Miss Sussex County Facebook page and Instagram page. You should also be sure to follow her personal Instagram account as well. It’s a great way to keep up with everything she has going on! 

Thanks again Taylor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week