Tuesday, April 5, 2016

From the Pedro Binder



1999 Upper Deck

Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

First, once again my scanner has been taking matters into its own hands when it comes to cropping cards. Apparently it feels that the right border needs to be narrower.

I’m not entirely sure I disagree. That’s really the thing that bothers me the most about this card. The foil borders. I don’t really know what the problem with them is, but it’s there. It’s actually a pretty nice design with the rippling effect. It does draw the eye to the large picture in the middle of the card. If it was simply a design, it would be much better. But, as foil it really does the opposite. While the design of the foil guides me towards the picture, I can’t take it off the foil itself.

I do like the bottom of the card. The fact that the picture can be seen through the opaque red coloring is fantastic. It allows the team name to be printed on a more solid background, but still allow the picture to display its whole glory.

But, that darn foil.

The picture is nice too. Certainly nothing revolutionary. But, I love the look on Pedro as he’s just about to deliver a pitch. Like impending doom.

If Upper Deck did an Opening Day type foil-less version, I think I’d like that a lot.


This, I don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week