Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Tiffany Ticlo Visits Section 36!

Nicole J Smith
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Tiffany Ticlo is passionate about STEAM, a talented singer, and the current Miss Arizona. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Tiffany Ticlo visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Arizona crown?

Becoming Miss Arizona has been a dream and goal that I’ve been working towards since I won my first local title at 15, so I have just been soaking in every moment since being crowned. To celebrate immediately after, my family went to In N Out for milkshakes!


What is something that Melody Pierce did as Miss Arizona that you would like to emulate or expand upon? 

Melody truly continued the Miss Arizona legacy of dedicating her year to service. One of my favorite events that she organized was a group session at a local food bank as food insecurity is a cause close to my heart. My mom grew up in a small village in Thailand where healthy, warm meals weren't always easily available. Though she was able to come to America to create a better life for herself, she never forgot what it was like to be without. She instilled the importance of giving back in her children, and from a young age I’ve volunteered at various food pantries. I look forward to expanding on what Melody started by hosting monthly sisterhood events at St. Vincent De Paul – preparing and serving meals to our low-income communities in Arizona. 


What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

There isn’t anything I am particularly nervous about, but I am on the edge of my seat to find out where the competition will be this year! I am also excited to perform on the national stage! 


How did you select your STEAM social impact initiative?

As someone who grew up riddled with anxiety and insecurities, I found confidence and self-love through theater, dance, piano, and painting. When I later developed a passion for coding, I decided to pursue a Major in Computer Science and Minor in Music so that I’d have access to both outlets. With a newfound STEAM background, I’m steadfast in my belief that both science and the arts should be equally valued to encourage a healthy balance of critical thinking, creativity, and innovation. However, more than 80% of schools experience budget cuts, and STEAM programs are often the first to go. In an effort to provide support to students just like me who could emotionally and mentally benefit from these programs, I’ve dedicated the past seven years to creating outreach programs and partnering with youth centers.


What is your personal fitness routine?

I am thankful to be training with our Miss Arizona fitness sponsor, Scott’s Training Systems. In addition to working out in the gym multiple times a week, I also enjoy exercising at home and going for walks when the weather is below 100 degrees (which is rare during Arizona summers!)


Earlier this year you released your first single, Boxes”. What can you tell me about it?

Jenn Cady
Singing has always been one of my greatest passions. My family says I used to walk around the house singing Elvis songs when I was 2 years old. Last summer, I was able to write and record 3 original songs which are available on all streaming platforms: Boxes, Find Forever, and Elevate. All of my music revolves around mental health, more specifically overcoming anxiety and self-doubt. I share my story of struggling with feeling out of place, but finding comfort in music and performing. I hope that when people listen to my songs they can relate to the lyrics and recognize their self-worth.


You are currently studying Computer Science / Software Engineering at ASU. Where do you see that field taking you?

I fundamentally believe that I would not be who I am today — an engineering student on track to get her master’s degree debt-free — if not for the nearly $200,000 I’ve earned in cash and in-kind scholarships through the Miss Arizona Organization. I aspire to use my STEAM background to become a Spotify Developer. This career combines two of my passions, music and coding. I’ve even leveraged my experiences to build a mobile application for Arizona directors to utilize for recruitment and for businesses to recognize the reach of this organization. 

As a firm believer that our educators shape our next generation, I ultimately plan on becoming an engineering professor in hopes of inspiring more young women to enter this male-dominated field. 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Diamondbacks, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my dad! One of my earliest memories is going to a Diamondbacks game with my family when I was 4. And now, we always watch different sports events together when they’re on TV. 


Is there a feature or activity during a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would love to sing the national anthem at a baseball game one day!


---

An anthem performance just HAS to happen!

As always, I want to thank Tiffany for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss America! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Tiffany during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account and website
They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything. You should also go visit her artist page on Spotify and listen to all of her music! You're sure to really enjoy it!


Thanks again Tiffany, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week