Friday, September 27, 2019

Mariluz Cook Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has a new visitor! Mariluz Cook is a Depression Awareness advocate, the current Miss South Florida Fair, and...a
Yankees fan. Even so, I was thrilled she was able to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.
So let's see what happens when Mariluz Cook visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss South Florida Fair crown?
Winning Miss South Florida Fair was a dream that I have had pretty much my entire life. I actually competed for the title four consecutive years until I actually won, so there was a lot to celebrate when I finally did! Following the competition, a reception was held in which the South Florida Fair board, my family, friends, and candidates I competed with all attended. To be embraced by such an incredible community knowing I would have their full support leading into the Miss Florida Competition months later would mean the world to me. I spent every single day for the following two weeks at the fairgrounds. Every single day at the South Florida Fair offered a new opportunity to eat a new fair food, connect with guests, and tell a child she could accomplish whatever she set her mind to.

What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss South Florida Fair?
I feel as if I have had more unique experiences in the past nine-ish months as Miss South Florida Fair than I have had in my entire life. I led a motorcycle parade, kissed a livestock pig (a long-standing tradition for Miss South Florida Fair), milked cows, ate apple pie flavored crickets, cuddled baby goats, and won a women’s amateur food eating competition (eating corn, not crickets), but my most surprising moment came when I was attending a luncheon in which I was asked to sing the National Anthem because the scheduled singer was sick. I don’t exactly know why I, a pianist, said “yes”, but I did before I could fully think about what I had gotten myself into. It was funny because no one could genuinely say, “Wow! What a great rendition!”. I heard a lot of “Wow! You are so… brave.”. 

You finished in the top ten at the 2019 Miss Florida competition. What was that experience like?
I will never forget the feeling of hearing my name called, looking
Photo by Genie Bunton Photography
out into the audience barely able to make out the clump of people that were my family and friends waving wildly and cheering loudly for me, and then running into the arms of some of my dearest friends who had also been called as finalists. The moment was a culmination of years of hard work, sacrifice, an incredible support system, and God sustaining me through it all. I think that not making the top ten for the three years I competed at Miss Florida before this year made it all the more significant to me. It was one of the best feelings of my entire life. Most of the night was a fast-paced blur, but looking back, there are little moments in which time felt like it stood still. These moments consisted of times when I prayed for others, moments when I was prayed over, and my favorite moment where I stood with one of my best friends and fellow pianists, Aaliyah Manning, as we warmed our hands in her jacket she had brought backstage for the specific purpose of preventing cold, stiff fingers while performing our talents onstage. I could go on and on about the little moments in which I was encouraged and empowered by Miss Florida sisters that night, regardless of whether they were competing with me in the finals or not. I will never forget it. 

How did you select your social impact initiative “Depression Awareness - Lend a Helping Hand”?
Photo by Valerie Schwartz Photography
Prior to a suicide that happened in my family, I did not have a good understanding of depression or mental health in general. This suicide served as a major wake up call in my life, as I came to the realization that depression and mental illnesses do not discriminate. Anyone is susceptible to struggling. When I began competing in the Miss America Organization in 2015 and was prompted to select a social impact initiative, Depression Awareness was the clear answer for me. I am very passionate about spreading awareness of organizations that are able to help those who are struggling. I have personally been inspired by the work of the National Alliance on Mental Illness and the 211 HelpLine. I am so thankful I get to use my South Florida Fair crown to bring light to the resources these organizations offer for our communities!

As a talented pianist, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?
First off, thank you for that kind compliment! Second, performing
Photo by Genie Bunton Photography
on stage, specifically performing my Miss Florida talent piece of MalagueƱa by Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona, is a way of combining my grandfather’s love for music and my Cuban heritage, as my grandfather on my father’s side of the family was a very talented musician while my mother’s side of the family is from Cuba. Performing on the Miss Florida stage in and of itself is exhilarating, as it represents the pinnacle of hundreds of hours spent at a piano in preparation for ninety seconds on stage and the unique opportunity to pay homage to my family through music.

What is your personal fitness routine?
It varies, as I like to switch things up to avoid getting bored, but my consistency lies in taking Sunday evenings to plan my meals and workouts for the week, as setting those intentions keeps me motivated and accountable. Typically, I strength train, often with my best friend, three to four times a week. I aim to do some form of cardio five times a week which could look like running, rewatching episodes of The Office while on the elliptical, or taking a cardio kickboxing class at my local YouFit. Currently, I am training for my first marathon, so I have been running every other day, usually with my longest runs of the week on weekends. 

While in college, you were able to work as a sideline reporter for your school baseball team. What did you learn from that position?
 Aside from learning the importance of oil blotting sheets (the
South Florida sun is no joke), I learned that there is always an opportunity to learn. As a woman working in baseball, I have heard a lot of “So… how much do you even know about baseball?” before even opening my mouth. Even more exhausting than receiving questions of that manner was constantly feeling the need to defend my baseball knowledge. About half way through the Florida Atlantic University baseball season, someone kindly taught me the terminology for two plays in baseball that I had seen countless times, but never really thought about what they might be called. They were “suicide squeeze” and “safety squeeze”. That specific interaction made me realize that my defensiveness, although often justified, and pride could tremendously hinder opportunities for development as a reporter. While I hope to see a day in which my abilities as a reporter are not put into question because of my gender, I have learned that it is perfectly okay to not know it all, as not knowing it all means that there is always going to be an opportunity for growth, whether in my career or any other facet of my life. 

As a Yankees fan, who is your favorite Red Sox player? Why?
I accidentally picked Mookie Betts first round in a fantasy baseball draft last year and was initially so mad at myself for doing so, as it felt like a form of betrayal. By the end of the season, I was so thankful I made that “mistake”, as he was the best and most consistent player on my fantasy team. I will root for him throughout his entire career. He was so much fun to watch at Fenway!

You were recently able to enjoy a game at Fenway, from Section 36. What was that trip like?
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention singing “Sweet Caroline” in a
sea of red and white. I will never forget it. The entire experience was just absolutely unreal. Although I am not a Red Sox fan, I can genuinely say that I get it now. Being a baseball fan, I have been to hundreds of baseball games at a number of different stadiums throughout my life, but there is something truly special about Fenway. In a world in which many are concerned about the relevance of baseball in the future, I left Fenway feeling so encouraged! The stadium was full and the love for America’s pastime was very much alive. 


—-

Why would anyone "accidentally" draft Mookie Betts?!

As always, I want to thank Mariluz for doing this interview, and for sending along the amazing pictures. They really make the post much better.

As Mariluz continues her time as Miss South Florida Fair, I encourage you to follow her on her official Facebook page. You should also follow her personal twitter and Instagram accounts. They’re great ways to keep up with everything she has going on! You should also be sure to check out her sports journalist website to see all the amazing things she's done, and will do!

Thanks again Mariluz!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week