Friday, September 6, 2019

Hillary May Visits Section 36!


Photo by LJ Williams Photography
Section 36 has a new visitor! Hillary May is a singer, a mental health advocate, and the newly crowned Miss Delaware! She also comes from a family of Cardinals fans. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more! I enjoyed everything she had to say, and I’m sure you will too. 

So let’s see what happens when Hillary May visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Delaware crown?
I know it sounds crazy, but I didn’t really celebrate in any formal way at all. I was proud of myself and it was nice to see all my family at the competition, but once I won I was in full-on work mode. I was so grateful to be given this opportunity that any of the other girls I competed with deserved just as much as I did. I felt I owed it to them and to the organization that I put my whole heart into it right away -- and I still think that to myself when I get up every day. The day after I was crowned I had my first two interviews and the journey began!


What’s something you learned about yourself at the Miss Delaware competition that will help you at Miss America?
This was my first time ever competing in an official pageant system so the entire year taught me a lot. I was lucky enough to win the first local I competed in and then went on to do the same at Miss Delaware. Throughout the whole process I was getting advice from everyone everywhere and I was incredibly grateful for it, but in the end I decided that absolutely everything I did – what I wore, what I sang, what I wrote, what I said, etc. – was going to be 100% created and executed my way. I didn’t worry about fitting into any sort of mold, I just put my complete and genuine self on that stage. I’m still getting advice, and I’m still listening to it all, but when it comes to Miss America my approach will be the same. If the judges want me to be Miss America, then I better show them me on that stage.

What part of going to Miss America are you most excited about?
I am honored and humbled to have this opportunity to go to Miss America. Even more than that, I am most excited to be competing in the first class of state titleholders within the new Miss America 2.0 system. This was my first competition ever in an official system, and I won. I think that speaks volumes to what Miss America 2.0 is all about. She is not a beauty queen but a leader, an advocate, and a source of confidence and empowerment for others. I’ve been hard at work in my community for years, been on stage since I was 3, and honestly enjoy any opportunity to grow in my personal and professional skills. THAT is why I was successful in Miss America 2.0, because I’m a real-life girl boss, not because I am a seasoned beauty queen – and that is the most exciting thing in the world.

How did you select your social impact initiative “Let’s Talk: Breaking the Stigma Around Mental Health”?
I’ve been involved in the Mental Health community for some time now: being a group therapy facilitator at a grief center for young children, speaking at various conferences and convocations about mental health awareness and suicide prevention, and working with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to provide suicide prevention training and awareness. My life’s journey initially lead me to this community when my best friend lost his father to suicide when we were in high school. Little did I know, the support system and resources I would find in the mental health community would later become even more personal when I battled depression myself. I was lucky. My battle was easier than most because had the knowledge, the support, and the army I needed to get me through such a hard time, so if I can share that knowledge and support with others through my journey in the Miss America Organization then maybe I can make someone else’s battle a bit easier too. Maybe I can create a national army so no one ever has to fight it alone.

As a talented singer, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?
My favorite part of performing is interacting with the audience. I’ve always said that you know you’ve made it when your audience is made up of people and not shampoo bottles. To me the audience is everything. I feed off their energy so much. I know that I don’t have to be perfect so long as they have a good time – because to me that is what performing is all about! I’m so excited to perform my talent at Miss America because I think my song does exactly that; it connects with the audience in a way that will (hopefully) have them dancing in their chairs and leave them with a smile on their faces!

If you could be a Harry Potter character for a week, which would you choose? Why?
My Harry Potter character is Nymphadora Tonks 100%. She is not
a huge character in the books but whenever she is mentioned you know what is going on is important because she always shows up for her friends when they need her. I think that is one of the most admirable qualities in a person. But also her hair changes colors and I think that is wicked cool!

Growing up in a family of Cardinals fans, who is your favorite Red Sox player? Why?
My favorite Red Sox players are all the guys on the bench, because while they have to watch the same things I have to watch, they actually have to act excited when the Sox win, and I really feel for them.

The Red Sox beat the Cardinals the last two times they’ve faced them in the World Series. Do you have a favorite Red Sox - Cardinals moment?
My favorite Sox – Cards moment is that stillness and silence when the first hitter steps up to bat, the pitcher is standing there, and the game is about to begin. There is so much potential in that moment. So much hope…

If you had an extra ticket to watch a Red Sox - Cardinals game at Fenway, who would you bring with you? Why?
If I had an extra ticket I would bring my grandfather with me. All my life my grandfather has been the biggest Cardinals fan. No matter where we were, at his house, at our house, on vacation, it didn’t matter. He was on the couch and the Cards were on the TV. He passed very recently so to give him the opportunity to enjoy one more game, and to see the look on his face when the Cards WON, would be the greatest gift.

——

That would definitely be very special indeed!

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Hillary for doing this interview, and for providing the pictures to go along with it. They're all just perfect.

As Hillary continues her time as Miss Delaware, you should definitely check out the official Miss Delaware website and her personal Miss Delaware site. I also encourage you to follow her on the official Miss Delaware social media accounts: FacebookTwitter, and Instagram

I also absolutely want to wish Delaware luck this winter as she competes for the Miss America crown! Once again there will be several Section 36 visitors gracing the stage. It would be incredible to have her take home the title! 

Thanks again Hillary, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week