Friday, May 12, 2017

Summer Foley Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Summer Foley came to the Boston area from Florida, via California. She is a singer, actress, Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Brookline. Before she competes for the
Miss Massachusetts crown in a month or so she was nice enough to visit with us to discuss those topics, and more. I’m awfully glad she did.

So, let’s see what happens when Summer Foley visits Section 36!

What made you decide to compete for Miss Brookline?
I have been involved with the Miss America Organization for two years now. It started as a way for me to gain scholarship money to attend school in Boston and then I became very passionate about the service entity of being a titleholder. Miss Brookline was a surprise to me and I decided to compete the Wednesday before it took place. I thought I wouldn't be able to compete in any of the local pageants in Massachusetts due to my schedule, so I saw this as an opportunity to compete at the state level and to represent my favorite part of the Greater Boston area! I've been visiting Brookline since my sophomore year of high school and I fell in love with its rolling hills, the park on Summit Avenue and how could I not love all Coolidge Corner has to offer? I was very excited and honored when I won!

What has surprised you most about your time as Miss Brookline?
I haven't been Miss Brookline for very long, however something that I've picked up on is the generosity of the community. The preventative measures taken by the local government in Brookline towards our statewide opioid epidemic are truly outstanding and the community of Brookline has been so generous to those in need with their organizations like the Brookline Food Pantry and the Brookline Housing Authority. 

You have a strong background in the theatre. How does that help you on stage during a pageant?
I'm so thankful for my familiarity with the stage when it comes to competing. It is difficult to remain confident and collected during swimsuit, evening gown and on stage question, but with my extensive training and a true belief in my ability, I feel that I've grown to love the challenges of giving it my all on the stage! I will have to say talent is my favorite portion, however, because I'm able to share what I love to do with the audience. 

What are you looking forward to about the Miss Massachusetts Competition?
Three Visitors in one Pic!
Carly helping Alissa crown Summer
There's a lot of excitement that comes with preparing and competing at the state level. I'd have to say I really enjoy getting to know everyone and creating great friendships and connections with not only my fellow contestants, but also with those who volunteer and happen to be sharing the space with us. My favorite part of competing, especially at the state level, is watching my hard work pay off. I'll be in the best shape of my life, I'll have worked on not only my talent song but my voice training as well and I'll be surrounded by my friends and family. It's a really fun and supportive environment that I'm already looking forward to! 

How did you get involved with your platform, “Drug Abuse Prevention and Awareness”?
I didn't have to do much searching or thinking about my platform. My older sister has struggled with substance abuse for 13 years and I've grown up witnessing a system that continues to disable my sister's and other's climb to sobriety. In 5th grade, through the DARE system, I realized the importance of focus and decision-making for oneself and once I truly became aware of the severity of opioid usage in not only Massachusetts, but nation-wide, I was passionate about making a difference. I've spoken to children in various organizations and even people my age about their experiences, I've shared my story, and I've offered as much assistance and guidance to those as I can. This issue is no longer something to be quiet about; we, as a society, do not need to condemn those with addiction, but celebrate their recovery. That's what I hope to work on as my year as Miss Brookline and hopefully Miss Massachusetts. 

While going to school not too far from Fenway Park, have you been able to make it over to see a game in person?
Yes! I saw the Red Sox v. Yankees game, and I have to say, there's
nothing like the Red Sox and the sports culture in Boston. It's one of my favorite experiences here. 

Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
My favorite player is Mookie Betts! His first grand slam was hit not too far from where I grew up against the Rays and he has continued to be a great player and role-model. 

How do you think the Red Sox will finish the 2017 season? 
What kind of question is that?! The Red Sox are going all the way! 

---

I love it! So confident, she couldn’t even question it! Well done.

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Summer for doing this interview. I’m sure many people will really enjoy reading what she had to say. I also want to thank her for providing the pictures to accompany the interview. They definitely make any more much more fun to read.

As Summer continues her time as Miss Brookline, I encourage you to follow her on the official Facebook page. It’s also worth checking out her personal website to catch up on all the other things that interest her.

And, of course, I want to wish Summer luck in the end of June as she competes for the Miss Massachusetts crown. How awesome would it be for another Section 36 visitor to claim that title?


Thanks again Summer, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week