Monday, May 22, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge: Day #5

Tony, the wonderful writer of the “Off Hiatus Baseball” blog, started a fun activity based off the “30-Day Music Challenge” that Twitter users were taking. The list of challenges looks like this:


Today, we’ll continue with Challenge #5: A card you spent more than $10 on.

I'm slightly ashamed to say that this card qualifies.



In fact, it would still qualify if the required value was increased by 50%.

I know. What the heck was I thinking? Well, if it helps...it was 1991 when I was thinking this.

I just recently told you the story of Phil Plantier. In 1991, he was the next Red Sox superstar. He was going to lead the franchise for years to come. Mo Vaughn would help him win more games than we could imagine over the next few years. 

And, here was a fantastic rookie card of his. Not just a rookie card, but a rookie from that really fancy new "Stadium Club" set! This was going to be the card to own. The prize in any collection. Before I bought this card, the most I had ever spent on a baseball card was $9 for a Cal Ripken Donruss RC. This one cost me twice that, but there was no mulling it over. It had to be done. There was no ceiling on this card. It was either drop the $17 now, or pay twice that later. Or three times? Who knew?

So, this card became the pinnacle of my Phil Plantier player collection. Every time I flipped through the Plantier binder, I could smile.

Which, is exactly what I do.

3 comments:

  1. He was going to be the next HOFer

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't alone. I spent hundreds of dollars busting packs of Stadium Club back in the day searching for Plantier, Bagwell, and 2nd year Thomas cards.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week