Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Why I’m Excited About the 2012 Red Sox Season

Two words. Carl Crawford!

I’ve been going through potential line-up in my mind, and I just don’t know where to put Crawford in it. How beautiful is that? The line-up is so powerful that I don’t know where a four-time all-star fits in. A career .296 hitter has no natural position. This could be fun.

And, we know it will be fun. Last year, the offense was magnificent. They led the majors in runs scored, even with Crawford having an off year. If he’s anything close to where he should be, we’re talking about record output here. I’m really down to two potential line-ups. Batting Crawford second, or sixth. I think the one with him second is better.

Ellsbury
Crawford
Pedroia
Gonzalez
Youkilis
Ortiz
Sweeney
Salty
Scutaro

I love the speed at the top of this one. Pedroia is going to see nothing but fastballs in this situation. That could be an elite position in any order. The one with Crawford sixth looks like this.

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Gonzalez
Youkilis
Ortiz
Crawford
Sweeney
Salty
Scutaro

Frankly, I hate sticking Crawford behind the slugs of Gonzalez-Ortiz-Youk. There’s a pretty good chance that if Crawford is on base, he’ll be behind one of the slowest runners in history. Not exactly the best use of his skill set.

But, just imagine the fun the first option will be. Think of the runs they’ll score.

I can’t wait.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know where to put Crawford in a lineup either but it is cause I don't even want him in it. I hated it when they signed him and his first season in Boston went just like I thought it would. I hope he can turn it around but I doubt it. Since we are stuck with ihm I would put him last in the order. If he can get on base he should have no problem going first to third in front of Ellsburry and he still has enough speed to not get in Jacoby's way.

    FYI... I read somewhere that Bobby V likes his basestealers in the 7 and 8 hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dig your optimism. And I shall share it. Crawford is going to be the opposite of 2011. He is going to be amazing. Our lineup is going to be amazing. Our rotation is going to be... um. Our lineup is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could you have possibly hated the Crawford signing? Do you not like multiple all-star players? Did you have another all-star you slated to play left? Mike Cameron, perhaps?

    Soxy, no worries on the rotation. Beckett is coming off one of the best years in his career. Clay will be back. Lester will be just fine. I'll take it with the offense the Sox will have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 80% of what Crawford brings to a game is speed. He won't have the same speed throughout the entire contract.

    Plus he has always just seemed like a punk to me. Plaico Burress in a baseball uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I'm a Yankee fan and I hammer Crawford pretty good, but it's true, Crawford is due to have a monster season, no doubt. Good piece.
    -Casey

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/01/wrist_surgery_f.html

    More of the same...

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week