Saturday, April 3, 2010

Visitor's Views

I thought it would be a fun twist to inject some opposing viewpoints into this blog. As such, I have reached out to the blogging community. Since the New York Yankees will be visiting Friendly Fenway this weekend, I thought we should know what their fans think. I asked Marie of A Cardboard Problem to answer a couple questions for me since she was the best Yankees fan I knew. She, thankfully, agreed. Here’s what she had to say:

When did you start blogging?
I started blogging in 2007 with Sooz. We decided that it would be fun to show our collections and talk about baseball cards to people other than each other.

What is the theme/goal of your blog?
The theme of our blog is just baseball and baseball cards, we don't collect anything else so it wouldn't be fair to write about other markets in terms of cards. There are cases where Sooz will post something about another sport or athlete because she covers sports for a living and has a broad range of knowledge of all sports as well as more access to stuff. The goal of our blog.... hmm.... to perhaps take over the world (like Stewie in Family Guy). Just kidding (sort of). I think if I had to pick a goal it would be to be able to talk about baseball and baseball cards in a manner that would eliminate the stereotype of girls knowing nothing about sports, and that we can be knowledgeable and collect cards as well as (better than) most men.

Which member/group of the Yankees are you most confident in?
Derek Jeter. No doubt about it, if there is a situation where a rally needs to get started or a run needs to be driven in for the win, he is the player I want at the plate. In the play-offs last season I was also fine with A-Rod coming up to the plate because he seemed to have found his swing in time to smash the ball in October this year.

Which member/group of the Yankees concerns you the most?
I don't think any one player concerns me too much, there are players that I could personally do without on the team but that wasn't the question ;)

Which member of the Red Sox scares you the most? (Yes, you have to pick one)
Scares me? LOL, ok I will try to take this seriously. I guess Pedroia or Ellsbury (for his speed). Really I am just naming people here because I can't think of someone that worries me since Papi is now a weenie.

Which member of the Red Sox do you like the least?
Kevin Youkilis. I couldn't despise any member of that team more than him. I am 99% sure I speak for Sooz as well here.

What’s your prediction for the upcoming series?
I don't see either team sweeping the first series, I will go with 2-1 Yankees, of course. (I also don't understand why they had the Yankees as their opening series when it will sell out if they play the Royals.)

What’s the first thing that comes to mind when I say the number “36”?
My high school softball number. (Followed by David Cone)

Thanks for the answers Marie. The Youkilis thing surprises me. I know I find him to be annoying. But, don't know what he's done to instill hate among other fanbases. Oh Well.

Since I am far from a professional interviewer, I hope these questions offer some insight into the Visitor’s Section. If you have a question you wish I had asked, let me know. If I do this again with another visiting team, maybe I’ll use it.

Go Sox!

5 comments:

  1. If Youk annoys you and you are a Sox fan, imagine how much he annoys a fan of a rival team.

    On the bright side, nobody despises average players. That emotion is reserved for stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting interview. It's nice to see a blog bringing together a Red Sox fan and a Yankees fan.

    I had no idea Youkilis would be the source of so much disdain from a Yankees fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does she think the Red Sox choose what team they open the season with? I hear this type of thing from everyone from fans to radio hosts--"why is the schedule like this?" "wouldn't this make more sense?" "wouldn't it be cooled if X played Y on Z weekend?"

    The schedule makers are trying to match up the 30 teams with 162+ dates, they're not concerned with what would be cool or what makes the most sense in terms of rivalries or what would sell and what wouldn't. I never understand why people think they are.

    Obviously there are certain things they have to accomplish every year--getting the Sox at home on Pats' Day, getting the Reds (until recently) playing the first game, setting the Interleague matchups, but those things only make it harder to line up the rest of the games with all they have to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always found Youkilis to be an annoyance that wears on you over following the guy for six years. Didn't realize it was something that could be hatred after 19 games a year.

    As for the schedule, I'm always amazed they can get a schedule put together at all. With everything they need to fit in, road trips, etc, I don't know why they don't just rotate through one or two instead of starting over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jere, she doesn't think the Red Sox chose this. But in terms of the schedule making, and the bottom line being money above all else, it does not make sense.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week