Friday, September 27, 2013



2002 Fleer Authentix Jersey Authentix

If it’s possible to both like and dislike a card, this would be the one for me.

I like that Fleer tried something a little different. They had the jersey in the card, like many cards do. But, they went the extra step of adding a manufactured ticket stub. It makes sense. As long as you’re having the thick sandwich card, might as well fill it up with stuff. I’m ashamed to admit that I spent a lot longer than I should have trying to figure out if it was a real ticket stub or not. That fact that it’s at least half the size it would have to be to be real didn’t hit me soon enough. Maybe the set name “authentix” was throwing me a bit. Oh well. But, I give Fleer credit for trying. I was also lucky enough to be at the game the ticket is for. So, it’s an added bonus for me.

One of my problems? Pedro didn’t pitch very well in that game. Actually, that’s an understatement. He got smoked in that game. Don’t ask me how, but he was terrible. He only went three innings, gave up seven earned runs on nine hits. Not exactly what you were looking for from a Pedro Opening Day.

But, I suppose I can forgive Fleer for not looking that far into the game. At least they picked a game where Pedro pitched. I wonder if that was accidental, or not.

The other problem? The design of the card is choppy. The cut-out for the ticket is distracting. Add that to the cut out for the jersey, and the picture of Pedro in a box, and the card is just too busy. I also don’t like that a vertical ticket is horizontal on the card. As long as you’re not using a real ticket, why not size it so that it goes the right way? Or make the card itself a vertical design? It’s just off.

So, while I like the idea, the execution didn’t cut it. It’s like Fleer had a brainstorming session on the design and couldn’t make a decision. So they decided to use them all. The card could have been much cleaner.


And the ticket should have been from Section 36.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week