Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy (two hundred) Thirty-sixth!


Today we wish a very happy 236th birthday to the United States of America!

Why do we call the fourth of July, America’s birthday? It’s the day we declared our independence. Wouldn’t the birthday be when the Constitution was ratified? In any event, Happy Fourth of July to everyone!

I’ve never been to Fenway for a July 4 game. It always seemed like it would be a fun one to get to go to. I came close once. I had tickets and everything. Was going to make a day of it. Game in the afternoon, fireworks in the evening. Then the day came. It was hot. No, not hot. it was HOT. You couldn’t turn on the TV without someone telling you to stay the heck inside. If you even walked down the street, you ran the risk of bursting right into flames. And I wanted to sit out in the sun for four hours at a game? Suddenly didn’t seem like the smartest idea. So, I skipped the game. I know. I feel terrible about it. But, really, at that point it’s a health issue, right?

I’ve been to Fenway on other Holidays. Opening Day. Patriots Day. Easter. Mother’s Day. Memorial Day. Father’s Day. Labor Day. Just not Independence Day. Yet.

Anyone been to Fenway for the Fourth of July?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have. I feel like every year, if there's a home game on the 4th, I avoid getting tickets, "leaving the date open" for possible plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at fenway years and years ago for Independence Day 1998. It was the major league debut of the immortal Jin Ho Cho. The Sox lost 3-0.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week