Friday, January 22, 2021

Savanna James Visits Section 36!

Photo by
Deanna Webber Photography
Section 36 has another visitor! Savanna James is a breast cancer survivor, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Summerville. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I am also excited that she is our first visitor from the state of South Carolina!

So, let's see what happens when Savanna James visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Summerville crown?

I cried, as cliche as that sounds. As someone who competed almost 6 years ago, I knew this was my last chance to make an impact before I “aged out.” I had a story to tell and I knew that Miss America would give me the platform necessary to reach people effectively. I didn't care if I won, as long as one person heard my story and it led them to be proactive in their breast health. To give you a more relatable answer, after the pageant, I went home and watched “Top Chef.” Don’t ask why... I just know in my heart that I have the potential to be a great chef someday haha. (Side note: I’m far from it.)


What has been the most pleasant surprise about your time as Miss Summerville? 

The impact that can be made by being a titleholder, whether it

be local, state or national. When you wear the crown, or even the sash, and talk, people listen. People are drawn to you. It’s in your hands whether you take the chance to make a difference and impact those that come into contact with you. We have one shot at this life, and to not utilize and take advantage of the opportunities presented to us, is a travesty. 


What part of the upcoming Miss South Carolina competition are you most nervous about?

I wouldn't say nervous, but I’m anticipating the week of competition itself! I think we are in Columbia, SC for a total of ten days. Being an old-timer (25 years old), that week is absolutely non-stop and being on top of my game all week will be something I have to prepare for! I better put down the Little Debbie Christmas Tree Cakes now… 


You’ve been open about your decision to have a double mastectomy as a way to reduce your breast cancer risk. What’s the biggest thing you hope people will take away from your journey?

Oh man. This is hard to sum up, but I'll try! 


At the start of all of this in 2019, I went into my yearly breast appointment thinking I was being preventative and staying on top of my health. It turned out that instead of being preventative, the procedure was life saving. I had a spot in my right breast.


What is harder to discuss for myself, and what is rarely talked about, is the fact that when treatments end, your journey is just beginning. There is so much left in this life that goes beyond a diagnosis, but, yet, is still so greatly affected by it. I’m going to be vulnerable here, but knowing that my story can help at least once person is what has saved my life. I had to learn to take a situation that is so undesirable and turn it into a platform for change and awareness. I saw an opportunity, not a closed door. This is what kept me fighting each and every day to do a little bit better, to be a little bit better and to share my story to at least one more person.


Knowing you are not alone, that there are others who are experiencing and going through a similar situation, is so powerful and can make all the difference during treatment. Cancer is an ugly word that strikes fear into hearts, creating an overwhelming feeling of powerlessness, but you do NOT have to feel powerless. You aren’t any less of a human for what you’re going through and feeling. Cancer doesn't define you.

I’ve partnered with two organizations that are near and dear to my heart: The Boon Project and Komen SC. My hope is that fellow survivors, and those going through treatments or a recent diagnosis, use my story to help look at their situations in a different light, and that others can see my story and understand the need for support and comfort, not only during treatment but through the years after. I just completed my third surgery this year in relation to breast cancer and I have been so blown away by the outreach and support of other survivors, their families and organizations. 


As a talented tap dancer, what do you enjoy the most about performing on stage?

Being able to tell a story! Dance is really a form of universal

communication and I think a lot of people miss that. It breaks through language, cultural and educational barriers. In that 90 second performance, I can tell my breast cancer story to whoever was watching without uttering a single word. There’s SO much beauty in that. 


How would you finish the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when ___”?

I know I am working to reach my potential. You never know who you can influence and impact! That's the beauty of public speaking and being able to have a position like this. We have a limited time on this earth, and in my mind, I want to go out knowing I did everything I could to make someone else’s life a little bit better. 


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

A man after my own heart with this question... definitely Pocahontas! My dad's side of the family is Cherokee, so growing up, my family called me Pocahontas. (Fun Fact: Some still do.) Now, I know the story was mistold and romanticized, but I am very thankful that Disney provided inclusivity with a Native American character, especially one that was so strong willed, yet caring. My youngest dog is named Meeko, after the raccoon in the film, because he is my trouble-making sidekick. He also steals cookies like the character. 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Yankees play the Braves, who would you take with you? Why?

This is a tough one for sure. Granny Merle, my grandma, is a die hard fan! Sometimes she gets too into the games, definitely mirroring that Bobby Cox era! It can get intense. Haha. Tyler, my boyfriend, would be my other choice. He was a college baseball player, and from what I heard, he was beyond good. They both love the Braves. I'm the only Yankees fan in my family, so neither one of them are too happy with me during baseball season! That's fine though.... I'll cheer for Aaron Judge any day. I mean winning the Homerun Derby as a rookie? Come on. Pure talent. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

One hundred percent I would love to try the "go-to" meal at every baseball park across America. There is nothing like sitting in the stands, eating a good meal and watching the game. In addition to the basics, this meal would HAVE to include boiled peanuts. I can’t resist. My dad was the state director of Dixie Majors Baseball so I was at every tournament and game across South Carolina. I think I basically survived off of boiled peanuts for the first twelve years of my life, so boiled peanuts are a nostalgia thing for me. On the other hand, if we are making wishes here, I would love to meet Aaron Judge. Fingers crossed...Sorry, T! 


----


Those are fun goals! (She should probably check out The Sports Passport for help with her first one.)


As always, I want to thank Savanna for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Savanna continues her time as Miss Summerville, I encourage you to check out her Instagram account. It’s a great way to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss South Carolina title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

 

Thanks again Savanna, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week