Wednesday, January 13, 2021

2020 Topps Allen and Ginter Blaster!

It's time to open another blaster from Santa! This time we'll go with 2020 Topps Allen and Ginter! This set usually manages to be both fun and frustrating at the same time with the "unusual" subject matter cards being completely hit or miss. How'd I do? Let's see!

Here are the highlights...


Here's what the box looks like. 


Not a ton of packs, but that's to be expected.


The first Red Sox! Been a while since I got a Mo Vaughn card in a pack, so this was a nice surprise. Not sure what the qualifications are to make it into "longball lore" because it's not like Vaughn was David Ortiz. This card celebrates a home run in game 1 of the 1998 ALDS. A playoff game that I've already forgotten. The only home run of Vaughn's I remember is his game-winning grand slam on opening day that year.


A much more important home run was hit by this guy. While still not exactly Ortiz, he at least hit a home run to help seal a World Series clincher. I like the design of the A&G cards this year. I like the shadow effect making it look like the photo is placed on the card. Not sure it's sticking with the "old timey" feel the set is supposed to give of, but it's a nice clean design.


Of course, one of the problems with A&G is that a lot of cards look like this. Which, I suppose is part of that feel I was just talking about. Two Red Sox cards, and two cards of guys with bats on their shoulders. At least Xander has his on the other shoulder.

So, there you have it. A few Red Sox cards, including a blast from the past. I'd call this box a success.

How did your box go?

1 comment:

  1. Pulled an Eloy Jimenez printing plate in mine. Possibly the hobby highlight for me in 2020.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week