Friday, October 2, 2020

Hannah Roque Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Hannah Roque is passionate about STEAM, a talented singer, and the current Miss Champlain Valley. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let's see what happens when Hannah Roque visits Section 36!


What made you want to participate in the Miss VT preliminary program as Miss Champlain Valley?

I was already very seriously preparing for the Miss Vermont 2020 competition when we had to postpone because of the pandemic. When the Miss VT preliminary program was rolled out, I jumped at the chance to become more involved in the organization that I love so much! It is such an honor to represent the Champlain Valley in Vermont. I am currently a student at Saint Michael’s College in Colchester, VT, which is in the Champlain Valley, as is my hometown of Middlebury, VT! It’s very meaningful to me to be able to represent this beautiful region alongside Lake Champlain! 

 

You finished second runner up at the last Miss Vermont competition. What did you learn from that experience that will help you the next time you compete?

When my name was called as second runner up at the Miss

Vermont 2019 competition, I was in complete shock! It was my first time ever competing so I went in just trying to learn as much as I possibly could; placing in the top 3 had never crossed my mind as I was preparing, so I was incredibly excited when my name was called! This experience really boosted my confidence in myself and as a performer. The most important thing I learned while competing was how to be my most authentic self both on and offstage. I’m still growing and learning as a person, but competing has helped me find who I am! I think all of that personal growth will help me achieve my goal of becoming Miss Vermont, while still staying true to myself! 

 

You were able to represent Vermont at the Miss National Sweetheart pageant. What was that experience like?

Competing at the National Sweetheart Pageant was an experience like no other! Being able to take all that I had learned on the Miss Vermont stage and apply it to a national pageant was an amazing opportunity to grow as a person. I absolutely loved the opportunity to meet 30 other incredible women from across the country, many of whom I still talk to today! Everyone in the town of Hoopeston, IL was so welcoming, and I instantly felt like I was part of the community while I was there. Representing Vermont at the National Sweetheart Pageant reaffirmed my dream of becoming Miss Vermont, and I will forever be thankful for this learning experience! 

 

How did you select your “STEAM Education” social impact initiative?

As a double major in English and Secondary Education with a

minor in Chemistry, I have always seen the overlap between STEM and the Arts. It is something that I am incredibly passionate about incorporating into my future classroom, but as I’ve continued with my education, my social impact initiative has morphed into something larger than STEAM. Through many experiences observing and teaching classes at all different grade levels, I’ve noticed that many students aren’t excited about the content that they’re learning. My new social impact initiative, Building Bridges to Success, is focused on helping students connect and engage with their education in meaningful ways. It is so important to help all students find meaning in their education, and I am excited to go into schools and talk to students of all different age groups. 

 

As a talented singer, what is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?

I love getting the chance to show my personality through my song choice and choreography. I’ve performed in many musical theater productions, so getting the chance to showcase my own personality onstage is always exciting!

 

If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would want to be Ariel! I’ve always loved her songs, and I would love to be a mermaid for a week! The Little Mermaid has always been my favorite Disney movie, so I would love the chance to live out Ariel’s life! 

 

As a fan of Broadway shows, what’s the show you most want to see once the theaters open again?

I actually had tickets to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child 

Photo by
Jon Adams

back in May, so I’m really excited to go and see it when theaters reopen! I’m a massive Harry Potter fan, so I’m looking forward to getting to experience the world of magic onstage! 

 

If you had an extra ticket to a Red Sox game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would bring my dad! He is a diehard Red Sox fan, so he’s the reason that I became a fan as well. Once it’s safe to travel and go to sports events again, I hope he and I can make a trip to Fenway and catch a game! 

 

Is there a feature or activity at Fenway that you’d especially like to experience?

As a singer, I would love to sing the National Anthem before a game. It would be such a dream come true to sing for a large audience at an iconic New England venue! 


—-


I’d love to be there to hear that!


As always, I want to thank Hannah for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Hannah continues her time as Miss Champlain Valley, I encourage you to check out her Instagram account. It’s a great way to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss Vermont title. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!


Thanks again Hannah, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week