Monday, September 11, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge: Day #22

Tony, the wonderful writer of the “Off Hiatus Baseball” blog, started a fun activity based off the “30-Day Music Challenge” that Twitter users were taking. The list of challenges looks like this:





Today, we’ll continue with Challenge #22 A card of a common player that always seemed to elude you.

This particular challenge doesn't really fit my collecting style. I'm guessing that what Tony was looking for was for me to scream something like "Dang nabbit. I'm always one card away from completing my set, and am i missing Mike Trout? No, I have six on him. five Mookie Betts, and 25 Kris Bryant. Not, I'm missing friggin Eduardo Rodriguez! Again!!!"

But, yeah, that's not me. I haven't put together a hand set in quite some time. Since the glory days in the late 80's, early 90's. I don't remember any one card sticking out as being someone I needed. Frankly, those sets are all a blur.

After those, I was a player collector for quite some time. I didn't usually focus on "common" players. Unless you count Phil Plantier, I suppose.

After that, I switched to Red Sox team collecting. You might imagine that opening the doors to missing a common card. But, there are so many cards out there, and so many sets, and so many players, that I have never even dreamed I'd complete every team set. So, I've been quite content to plug along. For all I know I have 36 team sets on my wantlist that are only missing one card each. I don't know. I don't really care. Because I know that as soon as I complete one team set, there will be four more to complete.

While that might sounds like a defeated attitude, I prefer to call it freeing. It's now a never ending quest. I can always find more cards. If someone wants to trade with me, they can probably always find something I don't have. There will always be options. There will always be something to chase.

So, sure, three of my Red Sox team sets from 2004 are missing Jerome Gamble. But, I didn't know that until I just looked. I haven't been stressing over it. It's fine. I have some cards, I don't have others. (Although, I'm willing to bet I don't have a lot of cards of Jerome Gamble.) At some point I assume I'll get one. Or not.

But, when I get my next Jerome Gamble, you can bet I'll remember this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week