Friday, July 23, 2010

Wild West

Ok. Usually I like the west coast swing. I know there’s no chance of me actually staying up for the entire game, so I don’t even bother. Unlike, say, Kansas City where the games start an hour later than usual. I always convince myself that I’ll just catch the first few innings, but end up staying for the whole thing. Not on the west though. I just wait until the morning and catch the score. Except for last night. No, I didn’t stay up for the whole thing. But, I was able to catch the first six innings. I went to sleep with the Sox holding a good-sized lead, and Lackey working on a no-hitter. I woke up this morning, and saw that they won. Cool Just as I thought.

But, then, wait a minute. 8-6? Really? How badly could Lackey have blown up? Wait, what? Lackey had a no-no into the eighth? And the Mariners scored six runs? My first thought was personal fear. My fantasy team has Lackey, Bard, and Papelbon on it. Obviously, those must have been the guys giving up all the runs. But, no. Apparently Manny Delcarmen forgot that he wasn’t on the DL anymore. I’m still not sure how it all played out. But, the Sox won, so I suppose that’s all that matters.

Josh Becket makes his start for the Sox tonite. That officially means the entire starting five is just how it’s supposed to be. That’s a pretty wonderful thing to see. I looked at the “series at a glance” on line yesterday, and saw the starting pitching as Lackey-Beckett-Lester-Matsuzaka. It almost brought tears to my eyes. The Sox absolutely need to win this series, if not sweep it. These are the teams, even on the road, that you need to use to make some ground. They have the horses on the mound to do it. The offense will be getting people back soon. It’s time to make that push. Seven games is nothing when you have two months left.

Just ask Mets fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week