Friday, August 16, 2024

Wilma Victoria Richiez Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Wilma Victoria Richiez is passionate about fostering economic growth, has a love of painting, and is the current Miss Puerto Rico. I was so excited she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Wilma Victoria Richiez visits Section 36! 

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Puerto Rico crown?

After winning Miss Puerto Rico, I took a moment to rest and fully appreciate this incredible opportunity. I allowed myself some downtime to soak it all in and reflect on the journey. Then, I made my way to the beach, where I could feel the sand beneath my feet and the waves lapping at the shore. It was the perfect setting to reconnect with my roots and embrace the beauty of Puerto Rico, while practicing gratuity.


What made you decide to compete within the Miss America Opportunity?

There are many reasons, one of them was my desire to pursue a JD/PhD—a long academic journey that requires substantial financial support. This opportunity felt like a blessing, a way to help fund my career goals. Most importantly however, after finishing college, I was eager to deepen my involvement in community outreach. Although I had participated in various initiatives before, I wanted to address the challenges I saw within Puerto Rico more directly. My long-term career goals include working on government initiatives that advocate for low-income communities. Therefore, finding a platform like Miss America, which could support my goals and amplify my voice, motivated me to compete.


What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

Honestly, it’s the whole experience! Each part of the competition presents unique challenges, and while I’m excited, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. But I believe that nervous energy can be channeled into something positive, helping me stay focused and give my best performance.


What can you tell me about “Puerto Rico CRECE”?

Puerto Rico CRECE is my Community Service Initiative (CSI) that aims to create a long-term, sustainable plan to uplift low-income communities on our island. Coming from a background of scarce resources myself, I’m deeply committed to helping my community build a prosperous future. Puerto Rico faces significant challenges—one of the highest poverty rates among U.S. territories, low financial and academic literacy scores, and many people living under the poverty line. This situation deeply concerns me, and it’s why so many Puerto Ricans feel compelled to leave the island in search of better financial opportunities. But I’m determined to help those who stay. Puerto Rico CRECE is based on three fundamental principles:

      1. Providing essential resources: This includes food, water, and hygiene items, particularly period products.

      2. Enhancing educational opportunities: We focus on inspiring and motivating younger generations to pursue higher education and careers in STEM—fields that are not only intellectually stimulating but also crucial for creating a sustainable economy. For our society to thrive, we need doctors, engineers, nurses, and other professionals. The absence of these careers in a population leads to financial struggles.

      3. Financial literacy: Many Puerto Ricans lack the financial knowledge to manage their funds effectively. By providing educational resources, we can empower adults in all stages of life to make informed financial decisions.


What is your personal fitness routine?

My fitness routine is a balanced mix of strength training, cardio, and flexibility exercises. I love doing yoga, especially outdoors—it really helps with both my physical and mental well-being. Lately, I’ve really gotten into running, so hitting the gym, running on the pier, or even training for marathons has become a super fulfilling way to stay healthy. Not only does it boost my physical fitness, but it also allows me to support good causes. Staying active isn’t just about physical health for me; it’s about mental well-being too. As a big neuroscience nerd, I’ve found research that highlights the importance of taking care of our "gut-brain axis" to feel healthy both mentally and physically. So eating food that fulfills my cravings a foodie from different culture that simultaneously focuses on health is really important to me.


As a talented speed painter, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

What I love most about performing on stage is that exhilarating moment when I finish a piece and turn it around to reveal it to the audience. For me, painting is like going on a journey—I’m in the zone, following the flow and rhythm, and I don’t always know exactly how the final piece will look until I take that step back. But when I see the completed piece along with audience’s reaction, it’s pure joy. Art is important to me, both as a hobby and how it serves as way for self-expression and historical documentation. Therefore, sharing my passion with others and seeing them appreciate the art is an honor that I cherish deeply.


You are currently studying environmental health at the University of Puerto Rico at Bayamón. Where do you see that field taking you?

I’m studying human biology, but my ultimate goal is to focus on environmental health. I want to gear my career towards acquiring a JD/PhD, with the PhD component focusing on Environmental Neuroscience. Specifically, I’m interested in how different environmental exposures, which are often prevalent in low-income communities, lead to poor health outcomes. My goal is to advocate for these communities and find ways to remove harmful exposures, ensuring everyone has the chance to live a healthy, prosperous life.


If you had an extra ticket to see the Criollos play the Gigantes, who would you take with you? Why?

That’s a tough decision because my family loves baseball, but I’d have to choose my sister. Everything is so much fun with her by my side. Even if I had to explain every detail of the game to her, because her baseball knowledge is not the best, she’d be just as excited as everyone else. Her enthusiasm is contagious, and it would make the experience even more memorable.


Is there a feature or activity during a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’ve always wanted to attend the Series del Caribe. It’s a series of baseball games between different Caribbean islands. Every time the tournament comes around, my parents get super excited, especially when the Puerto Rican team faces off against the Dominican team. It keeps our family on its toes and sparks some friendly debates with our neighbors about which team will win. It’s more than just a game—it’s a celebration of my Dominican and Puerto Rican background, our culture and the collective love for baseball. It’s truly an activity that brings us all together.


---

That definitely sounds like an amazing time!

As always, I want to thank Wilma for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss America! It would be amazing to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Wilma during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account and website
They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything. 

Thanks again Wilma! And, good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week