Friday, March 13, 2020

Sydney Park Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has another visitor! Sydney Park is passionate about empowering women, a talented orator, and the current Miss Five Boroughs. I was thrilled she was willing to talk with us and discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let’s see what happens when Sydney Park visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Five Boroughs crown?
I ordered chicken fingers! It's my favorite celebratory snack! I also got right to work contacting local organizations and businesses to partner with for events and sponsorships. This crown and title carry with them a lot of responsibility, so I honor it by putting in the hard work and diligence that a local title deserves. 

What part of the upcoming Miss New York competition are you most nervous about?
I am always nervous for interview! While I do love talking, it can be a pretty nerve-wracking experience, so I am always just a little bit nervous. 

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Five Boroughs?
The go-to answer is always volunteering and making my community a better place, but even when not holding a title, I dedicated a lot of time to volunteering, so besides that, my specific goal as Miss Five Boroughs is to work with local groups and build connections to local businesses to try and develop a really strong local Miss New York organization. If we can strengthen our scholarship award capabilities, it will make for a really attractive local competition that will hopefully attract driven and motivated women who could potentially become the next Miss New York! As much as this organization is about giving back, we already are doing that and we are already working within our communities to make them better, I think now is a great time for local titleholders to think of ways of advancing and growing the organization and its financial capabilities to better support its members and titleholders so we can accomplish bigger and better things, but it all starts with creating a strong foundation of support in our local organizations. 

Specifically, I would love to raise at least $5,000 to support our scholarship fund for the next  group of titleholders (and if you're interested in helping out, you can reach me on my social media! ;) 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “You Go Girl! Empowering Women Through Sports”?
I have been an athlete my entire life and so have all three of my sisters. We played every sport under the sun as kids. For me, soccer was the sport I loved the most and now I have the amazing opportunity to coach two u11 girls teams in the Bronx through South Bronx United. I chose my initiative because I know first hand how incredible of an impact sports can have on a girl's life. I am focused on building up young athletes through mentorship and one-on-one support. The skills we learn playing sports are invaluable: we learn to be compassionate and hard-working leaders, fierce individuals, and dynamic teammates. Sports really help set little girls up to be successful women, and I think when we systematically underfund our girls teams we are doing a grave disservice to our future generations of female leaders by denying them the ability to develop the skills they will need to succeed and to lead. 

How do you create the perfect monologue to perform during the competition?
I was inspired by Senator Elizabeth Warren! When "nevertheless she persisted" started trending I really started thinking about what that means and how the women in my life have persisted. I thought about what types of expectations society has for women and what kinds of roles we are told to play, and then I thought "screw that!" Spoken word ("slam poetry") has always been a passion of mine, and I have been writing my entire life. It felt like a fitting way to express how I feel as well as work in a medium that I love. 
A lot of people think spoken word or monologues are not talents. I disagree! Language and phrasing, tempo and rhythm are really testaments to the human experience. Who are we if we are unable to communicate and unable to connect through language? Being able to take that medium and turn it into something expressive and moving is really powerful! I try and tell people that the best monologues/spoken word pieces for a competition are the ones that leave people feeling uplifted and fiery. No one wants to feel sad after the talent portion! I like to ask "what puts a fire in you? What makes you get up in the morning and fight for what you believe in?" 

What is your personal fitness routine?
Quite honestly, I have very little time during the day to have a regular fitness routine! Most of my day involves running from my office job to my law classes to my volunteering work to my homework. But when I can I like to do yoga, I've tried boxing a few times, and I will go for runs in the park (when it's warm out…)

You are currently a student at Fordham Law. What are your goals within that field?
I eventually want to go into politics! I would love to hold a position within local or state government. For now, I am keeping my options open because I think it can be extremely limiting if you aren't open to new opportunities or avenues that you hadn't considered before. 

If you had an extra ticket to a Mets-Yankees game, who would you bring with you? Why?
I would bring my best friend, Megan Stier! We have always wanted to go to a game together. She and I love doing things around the city and really taking in everything New York has to offer. Plus, we both really get into activities, so we'd be hooting and hollering and eating hot dogs the entire time! (Plus, I think we both look great in baseball caps.)

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?
What I would give to throw out the first pitch! On second thought, I'd love to catch a homerun from the opposing team and get to throw it back onto the field at Yankee Stadium. 

—-

That would be fun to do! Hopefully it’ll be a Red Sox home run she catches!

As usual, I want to thank Sydney for visiting and for sending along the pictures that accompany the interview. Even the one in Yankee Stadium!

As Sydney continues her time as Miss Five Boroughs, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram account. It’s the best way to make sure you don’t miss out on everything she’ll have going on.

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss New York title. It would be great for another Section 36 visitor to wear that crown!

Thanks again Sydney, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week