Friday, January 10, 2020

Alana Scheuerer Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has a new visitor! Alana Scheuerer is an advocate
for the arts, a talented dancer, and the current Miss St. Petersburg. I was excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So let's see what happens when Alana Scheuerer visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss St. Petersburg crown? 
After winning Miss St. Petersburg I thanked the Miss Largo Board for running such a smooth and professional competition and then went out for ice cream with my family and friends who came to support me.

What part of the upcoming Miss Florida competition are you most nervous about?
When it comes to competitions, I’d say On Stage Question makes me most nervous. I’ve always been a competitive dancer but speaking on stage is something still new for me. 

Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss St. Petersburg?
My goal this year is to represent the Sunshine City in the best way I can. I’m trying to attend and facilitate as many community engagements with the arts as I can. One goal is to shed some light on St. Petersburg’s 11 museums, art district, and 500+ murals it is home to.

How did you select your social impact initiative, “TAP: Turn up Artistic Participation”?
With dwindling support for the arts in our school systems, my initiative turns attention to our community to engage with the arts. Dance has been my outlet for over 20 years. When I began college at Florida State University there was no outlet for me to continue tap dancing. I helped start up my University’s first tap team with over 40 members now, and it was from then I knew I wanted to focus on the importance arts bring to all ages. I feel that it is through these engagements that we better lean to come together towards a common goal.

As a talented dancer, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?
When I am on stage dancing, I am happiest. My favorite feeling is when I can silence a room while tap dancing. While in a crowded auditorium, being able to hear a pin drop while performing my own rhythms and beats gives me such a feeling of power and confidence.          

What is your personal fitness routine?
I have to admit I am clueless if you bring me into a gym. Dance has always been my cardio and fitness. Recently, as I’ve been working on my MA in American Dance Studies, I have been studying Gyrotonic methods which is a movement method utilizing equipment to stimulate the nervous system and strengthen range of motion and efficiency through spinal movements.

This summer you were able to attend a Tigers minor league game with your Miss Florida sisters. What was that experience like?
The 2019 Miss Florida class couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful afternoon at Joker Marchant Stadium. Before the game our class met fans and signed autographs and after our Miss Florida, Taylor Tyson threw the first pitch, our class was introduced on field. We had a blast cheering on the Lakeland Flying Tigers with our families.

If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Rays at Tropicana Field, who would you bring with you? Why?
Dorian Mirasola would definitely be first on my list. I grew up most of my life with a single mom until my senior year of high school. Dorian treats my younger brother and I as if we were his own and being that he was a strength and conditioning coach for the Angels, Mets, and Tigers, I couldn’t see myself choosing anyone else.

Is there a feature or activity at a Rays game that you’d especially like to experience?
Miss St. Petersburg has been known to throw a first pitch at a Rays game before. I would certainly love the opportunity to continue the tradition as well as take a photo with Raymond.

---

Both of those ideas would be a lot of fun!

As always, I want to thank Alana for doing this interview, and for sending along the great pictures to really improve the look of the post.

As Alana continues her time as Miss St. Petersburg, I encourage you to follow her on her official, and personal, Instagram accounts. They’re great ways to see what she’s up to during her time with the crown.

And, of course I want to wish Alayna luck when she competes for Miss Florida. That competition is turning into a Section 36 reunion, which is fantastic.

Thanks again Alana, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week