Friday, October 4, 2019

Kaitlin Moreno Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has a new visitor! Kaitlin Moreno is a world traveler, a talented orator,  the current Miss Litchfield County, and…another
Yankees fan. I was still excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So let's see what happens when Kaitlin Moreno visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Litchfield County crown?
I celebrated with my family at Fino’s Pizza in my hometown, Watertown. 

What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss Litchfield County?
What surprised me the most as Miss Litchfield County is how much support I’ve received. I’ve made new relationships with other MAO women and my fabulous LC scholarship team. I’m very happy to have met and gotten to know Phylis, Ashely, and Jenn- they are the best, most inspiring, and supportive pageant moms a girl could ask for. This was my first title I’ve ever won and I really didn’t know what to expect so it’s been really a delightful journey and learning experience.

Is there a specific goal you'd like to accomplish before you turn over your Miss Litchfield County crown?
My goal I’m actually on my way to accomplishing. I wanted to find a new place I can consistently volunteer and do something I haven’t
done before. I love animals and wanted to work with them and I will now be at Animal Haven in Manhattan volunteering 2 hours a week with their cats and dogs, helping take care of them and helping them get adopted. It’s something new and something I’m happy to learn more about and dedicate time to. I’ll also be volunteering during the holidays in Litchfield County as well, so I’m really looking forward to that and continuing my volunteering experiences in and out of crown and sash! 

How did you select your social impact initiative “A Moment of Magic: Restoring the Magic of Childhood”?
I chose A Moment of Magic: Restoring the Magic of Childhood because of my work with A Moment of Magic Foundation. It started as a club at the College of Mount Saint Vincent and after applying
to be a nonprofit, the club became official. Now AMOM has chapters all over the US at different colleges and universities. College students have the chance to volunteer as iconic fairytale characters, bringing childhood magic to pediatric hospitals. I loved volunteering in college and since I can’t directly volunteer with the CMSV chapter anymore, I’m happy to advocate for AMOM and bring awareness to pediatric cancer and how we can help and support kids battling cancer. I encourage people to learn more at amomentofmagic.org or follow them on social media @momentofmagicfoundation. There are many ways people can get involved or utilize their services. 

Your competition talent is original spoken word poetry. How does it feel to present your work on stage?
It feels so powerful. I loved watching slam poetry in college and always awed at their powerful messages and voices. I love the idea of creating imagery for people to get lost in. I hope my words resonate with people and gives them food for thought. I was so happy to do original spoken word poetry and hoped it inspired others on the Miss CT stage. I always hope to inspire others to write or enjoy the vast genres of literature in the world.

You’ve been able to do quite a bit of world traveling. What’s your favorite place that you’ve visited?
That’s such a hard question haha. I’d just like to say thanks first to
all my teachers that have taught me history and literature, because they always made it feel like I was traveling in time with the material and they inspired me to travel to see and learn outside the classroom. But I’ve loved each place for their own unique beauty and character. I’ll say Machu Picchu, I love sharing this trip. The hike up Machu Picchu mountain was INSANE. The challenge, the elevation, the history. Especially having native ancestry it felt like my sense of diaspora was settled being among a hub city for all of the Incan Empire. Every Incan from (what is now) Colombia to Argentina had to visit the city of Machu Picchu and carry a rock, we know this because scientists found rocks from different regions of South America that are not native of that area in Peru. With those rocks they created the path up the mountain, that same path is the one you hike. I hiked the same path my ancestors probably did and sat among godly sized mountains. It felt like an honor and I hope to return again to hike Wyana Picchu Mountain. That will hopefully be next year. My next trip is to Thailand in October which I’m very excited for! It’ll be my first time in Asia. 

As a Yankees fan, who is your favorite Red Sox player? Why?
Babe Ruth. I don’t that that one needs much of an explanation. 

What is your favorite Red Sox - Yankees memory?
I actually haven’t gotten to see a Yankee vs. Red Sox game yet but I’d love to. But my favorite memory around the whole rivalry is my childhood neighborhood playing pranks on each other. My mom one time stole (with permission from Mrs. Alvey) Mr. Alvey’s Red Sox flag off the front porch for April fools day...it took him a week to figure out who did it. Another neighbor mowed the NYY logo into their lawn... they were our only beloved Red Sox fans in neighborhood. It was all in good fun. I hope to have next door neighbors again like them, they were always my favorite family to visit. 

Which team has the brighter future, the Red Sox or Yankees?
I hope both so they can compete in the playoffs together sometime soon. That would be so fun to go see.

---

Certainly think that would be a lot of fun.

As always, I want to thank Kaitlin for doing this interview, and for sending along the fantastic pictures. They really make the post a lot more fun to read.

As Kaitlin continues her time as Miss Litchfield County, I encourage you to follow her on their official Facebook page. You should also check out the website for A Moment of Magic, and follow them on Instagram. It's a great way to stay on top of everything that's going on!

Thanks again Kaitlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week