Friday, October 11, 2019

Audrey Getman Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has a new visitor! Audrey Getman is a world traveler, a history buff, and the current Miss Gate City. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So let's see what happens when Audrey Getman visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Gate City crown?
The day that I won Miss Gate City 2020 I actually competed in two competitions on the same day. That meant two full competitions all packed into the time that we’d usually do one competition. Because of that, I was understandably exhausted! On my way home I grabbed some dinner, and then I actually went straight to bed.

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Gate City competition that will help you at Miss New Hampshire?
One thing that I’ve found in my entire journey this season is that with talent specifically, and this sounds super corny, I have to believe in myself and believe in the song. When I felt myself getting nervous in the song during this competition, I powered through. Apparently that also resonated in the song and added an element of power and emotion to the performance, so that was something that I was able to learn how to do.

What are you most looking forward to about your time as Miss Gate City?
I’m really looking forward to promoting my social impact initiative
and getting to work on different service opportunities. One of my favorite things to do is donate my time to community service projects. I wasn’t able to do much of this during my time in college because of how hectic my schedule was. Now that I’ve graduated, I’m excited to start doing more community service!

How did you select your social impact initiative “Promoting the Value of History”?
One of the things I mentioned above that I’m excited about is my social impact initiative, “Learn the Past: Promoting the Value of History”. I just graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History and Classics. My love of history and classics has transformed into something bigger than I anticipated. I want to continue working with both fields and researching the different ideas that I have. That’s why I thought about this for my social impact initiative, because not only is it my entire life, but because I really believe that learning from history influences our future. There is the quote, “Those who do not learn the past are condemned to repeat it,” which is part of where my social impact initiative gets its name. History has been very cyclical, and the humanities have been extremely neglected. We don’t stress their importance as much as we should. I really enjoy learning history. I want to use my social impact initiative to help members of younger generations find enjoyment in it too. History isn’t just about learning and memorizing dates. It’s seeing how these big, great events have shaped the world we live in. I want other people to be able to see that too.

As a talented singer, what types of songs are your favorite to sing?
I love a good female ballad, I find them very empowering. I used to
sing a lot of Adele because her songs are super powerful and meaningful. I also love Disney music, and the occasional showtune. I pretty much just sing whatever pops into my head.

You’ve been able to do quite a bit of traveling. What your favorite place that you’ve visited?
The best place I’ve been to so far has been Athens, Greece. It was my first of two study abroad experiences (the second was a short 10-day January term trip to Rome). I was there for five weeks in the Summer of 2017. One of those five weeks was a travel week across various ancient and historical sites near Athens. Greece is my happy place and every single day I dream of going back. Hopefully I can study there in graduate school!

Who is your favorite Red Sox player? Why?
This may sound a bit weird because he’s such a rookie, but I love Michael Chavis. I think he’s outstanding and I’m just really excited to see where he goes in baseball, and I really hope he stays with the Red Sox. Mookie Betts is a close second, and before Chavis came on the team, Mookie was my favorite.

Is there a feature or activity at Fenway Park you would especially
like to experience?
 I’ve never sat on or been to the Green Monster, but I would really
love to someday. I think it would be such a fun experience!

What were you doing when the Red Sox won the 2018 World Series?
I was in a restaurant in my college town because they had a bunch of TVs and I had just finished a weekly student government meeting. A bunch of the members of student government got a big table at the restaurant and we ate and watched the game. It’s a relatively small restaurant, so we were able to get there before it got completely crowded. I have videos of the last at bat where Manny Machado went down on one knee after swinging, and the entire place just erupted. After, everyone poured out onto the street and sidewalks. Everyone was singing Sweet Caroline at the top of their lungs, and it was just such a great way to ring in my senior year.

---

That must have been amazing!

As always, I want to thank Audrey for doing this interview, and for sending along the fantastic pictures. They really make the post a lot more fun to read.

As Audrey continues her time as Miss Gate City, I encourage you to follow her on her official Facebook page. 

I also want to wish Audrey luck when she competes for the Miss New Hampshire crown. It would be wonderful to have another former visitor take home that title! Could it be three in a row?

Thanks again Audrey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week