Tuesday, May 14, 2019

It Feels Good to be Right!

I mean, I'm sure you knew that. And I certainly would have assumed it to be the case. And it's certainly been true every other
time it's happened. But, it's still nice to have it proven again. Being right feels good.


Because, I was right about the Red Sox. Again. The season wasn't doomed. They didn't dig themselves an impossible hole that they'd never escape. They calculated a plan, stuck to it, and are now seeing the rewards. Other people may have been screaming and yelling a month ago when they were 6-12 and already 6.5 games back in the East. Some saw tragic flaws in their starting rotation that may never be fixed.


Of course, we here in Section 36 saw the plan. I believed Cora when he pointed to mid-May as a turnaround point. He was willing to punt on the first month of the season again, in order to have a stronger finish.


Once again, I'm a little surprised that fans aren't more patient with the Sox when they're following a model of success proven by the Patriots. The Red Sox basically started their season in a 28-3 hole. But, like the Patriots in Super Bowl LI they have the better conditioning down the stretch. They are going to be facing teams who tried their hardest in April, and are a month more beaten down than the Sox.


Advantage Boston.


Now, of course, the Sox aren't all the way back. They're still in third place, 3 games back. But a three game lead on May 14 is nothing. That can go away in a weekend. The Sox have gotten the first White touchdown. They're on their way...just like we thought.


I was also shown to be right about Dustin Pedroia, on a comment I made five years ago. When the Sox signed him to his terrible contract, I said it would come back to bite them. I said he'd try to come back from injuries too soon, and miss even more time because of it. I said it'd take a miracle for him to be worth even his reduced contract value in 2018-9.


And? Here we are. Pedroia tried to come back from an injury too soon this season. Cost the team a couple games, then went back on the IL. Still tried to do too much, and had to be shut down yet again. This is not going to go well for the Sox. If only they had listened  to me all those years ago.


I guess I'll just have to comfort myself with the knowledge that I was right.


Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week