Friday, May 10, 2019

Debbie McNally Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has a new visitor! Debbie McNally is a STEM advocate, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Mayflower. I was so excited
that she was able to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So let's see what happens when Debbie McNally visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Mayflower crown?
Well after calling and texting pretty much everyone I know, I had a wonderful dinner with one of my fellow contestants Melissa Soong! The celebration didn't last for long though, as I actually had to finish up a final project for one of my classes!

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Mayflower?
I want to make at least 50 appearances in my community during

this next year, with half of those being focused on STEM. Having a title gives me incredible power to be a community figure, and I want to utilize that to its fullest potential.


What part of the upcoming Miss Massachusetts competition makes you the most nervous?
I actually don't get nervous during the competition; I try my hardest to prepare ahead of time, and once I hit the stage I just flip a switch and rely on that training. Preparation wise, I focus most of my time on staying involved and informed for the interview portions.

How did you select your social impact statement SPARK
SPARK is an acronym I created for spreading passion and resources for knowledge; I actually chose the word "spark" because I'm an electrical engineer and it was a clever tie-in to the experiences I try to share! I developed this platform because I've had some incredible opportunities at NASA and the FIRST World Championships that were only available to me after I had chosen to pursue a career in engineering.

Seeing a rocket lift off with my work onboard was incredibly inspiring, but I started to wonder if those experiences would better serve students unsure of STEM. If I could help them become involved with these hands-on lessons, maybe I could grow their curiosity and interest in the subject? My greatest accomplishments have been powered by curiosity and passion, and once that interest is sparked there is no telling what these students may accomplish.

What is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?
I love making connections with my audience, and helping them realize that poetry can hold so much power. Each word holds its own emphasis and importance, and it's a wonderful challenge to
share that with all those listening.

Which Disney character would you say is most like you?
I have always loved Belle! In my free time I love sitting and reading, especially on my porch since it's no longer snowy!

Who’s your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
I really admire Mookie Betts -- not only is he an incredible player, but he truly seems like an even better person. He demonstrates how to use your fame to give back to your community, and I can only hope that I impact my community just as much!

Is there a feature/aspect of a Red Sox game at Fenway you would most like to experience?
Just going to a game! I haven't had much downtime during the season so far, but it's on my list of things to do this summer! I've sung Sweet Caroline so many times at family weddings, and I think sharing that moment inside Fenway (preferably in Section 36) would make it even more memorable!

What were you doing when the Red Sox won the 2018 World Series?
I was anxiously watching the game at my apartment! I remember that as soon as the game officially ended, there was cheering all throughout my building to create such a joyous moment!


---


That must have been quite the scene with all the cheering!

As always, I want to thank to Debbie for doing this interview, and for sending along the amazing pictures. They really help make the post much more fun to read.

As Debbie continues her time as Miss Mayflower, I encourage you to follow her on her official Miss Mayflower Facebook page and Instagram account. 


Of course, I also want to wish Debbie luck this summer as she competes for the Miss Massachusetts crown! Would love to have another former Section 36 visitor take that title!

Thanks again Debbie, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week