Tuesday, April 9, 2019

From The Phillies Room to Section 36

You probably read Jim’s recent write up about the yearly purge that went his way from here at Section 36. As a way to keep my mass of cards more manageable, any non-Red Sox non-star older than 10 years needs a new home. The Phillies cards find their way to the Phillies Room. (Does anyone want to claim another team?) in return, Jim was nice enough to send a package my way. Here’s what I found inside.


The first thing I noticed is this great 2019 Phillies schedule. Come November, it will be fun to have this item from the team the Red Sox defeat in the World Series. For a while, the Phillies would send me a schedule. Apparently buying one set of tickets was enough to get on their mailing list for season ticket promotional mailings. Always seemed odd to send a season ticket brochure hundreds of miles away. But I enjoyed the schedule, just like this one. Plus, since the Sox play the Phillies this year, it’s practically a Red Sox collectible.


This is a great collection of recent Red Sox inserts. I like how the Moncada has five pictures of him on the card, each showing one of the “five tools”. It’s the kind of commitment to the theme that is missing in a lot of insert sets. Like the Zporcrllo next to him. I have no idea what that card is even trying to do.


This card of Andrew Benintendi is one that makes me question my collecting. Is this a card? A small display piece? Something else? Either way, it’s welcomed in my collection.


Speaking of Benintendi, one of his cards leads off the “Heritage” portion of the post. These four cards are chrome versions. The ‘Tendi is a different color than the other three. I’m not knowledgeable enough to know why. But, ‘Tendi is numbered so that’s cool.


More Heritage! The entire Red Sox set, in fact. Were these pictures taken during Spring Training 2018? Is that why mid-season acquisition Steve Pearce didn’t get to pose in front of the hedge?


A couple inserts of Red Sox MVP candidates. They're definitely "Performers". Not sure if they're "New Age".


Red Sox all-stars. Hard to argue with this trio. I really like the look of this subset.


League Leaders! You know what the best part about these cards is? Not a Yankee in sight. I hate having to add Yankees to my collection because they happened to finish a distant third in some statistic.


The playoffs! What a wonderful collection of cards celebrating the ALCS defeat of the Astros. Who would have predicted that such a subset would include two cards of Jackie Bradley Jr, but both honoring his bat. Love the card of Benintendi with the risky all-out catch.


Just look at those beauties! I keep going back and forth as to whether to put the Muncy in my Red Sox binder. Obviously, he's not a Red Sox player...and it's celebrating a Red Sox loss. But, feels weird to break up the set. Thoughts?


We'll end this post with the best card in the package, and in the entire Heritage set. No wonder Topps chose it as number one.

So huge thanks to The Phillies Room for the fantastic package. 

I'll be sure to check that schedule to see what dates the Phillies will be losing to the Red Sox!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week