Friday, July 6, 2018

Julia Crane Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has another visitor! Julia Crane is a dancer, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Vermont. She is currently spending the
next couple months gearing up for the Miss America competition in September. I’m excited that she took the time out of her busy schedule to discuss those topics, and a few more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy reading everything she had to say!

So, let’s see what happens when Julia Crane visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate being crowned Miss Vermont?
 I was really in shock. This was my fifth time competing for the title of Miss Vermont and I was in utter disbelief that it had actually happened. I believe at one point on stage I actually fist pumped, but it is all such an exciting blur I don’t exactly remember! After getting past my initial shock, I hugged just about everyone and, of course, ate some Sour Patch Watermelon. 

With all the recent changes, what part of the Miss America competition are you most looking forward to?
I feel honored to be part of the first class at Miss America that will not compete in the Lifestyle and Fitness part of the competition. I am excited to see exactly what Miss America 2.0 entails! However, what I am most looking forward to is meeting the other state titleholders. We already have a hilariously entertaining group chat going and I can only imagine how much more I will love them in person!

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Vermont competition that will help you at Miss America?
That I am enough. Throughout my years competing in Miss Vermont, every time I stepped on stage my confidence grew. No matter the outcome, I always walked away knowing so much more about myself than I had when I started the process of competing, which kept me coming back year after year. I have learned to love my quirks and embrace my nerdiness (particularly, my love for infectious diseases). The best Miss America is the one that is true to herself, and being authentic to Julia is the only way to compete at the Miss America Competition. 
            
What’s your favorite part about tap dancing on stage?
Showing my personality! For the first three years, I competed I
Photo: Steve Smith Photography
performed a lyrical dance. When I switched to tap dancing, I had a new-found enjoyment for the talent portion as I felt like I could continue to show who I really am. When I tap, I truly feel like a performer. 

How did you select your platform, “Be a Hero: Be an Organ Donor”?
My platform was inspired by my best friend Courtney, who is currently on the transplant list waiting for a double lung transplant. We have been best friends since 7th grade and one of the hardest things with having a friend who is sick with Cystic Fibrosis is the feeling of helplessness. There have been many times that I have wished we could trade places. When someone you love is hurt
or sick, you would do anything to help them. I realized that one thing I could do was advocate for and educate people about organ donation, in hopes to increase the number of organ donors state and nationwide. Through my platform, I am able to help Courtney in this small way, and everyone else’s “Courtney” who are waiting for their second chance at life on an organ transplant waiting list. 

What is your favorite thing to do in Vermont?
Go for a sunset boat ride (preferably with Ben and Jerry’s as a snack)! Lake Champlain has some of the most gorgeous sunset colors and with the Green and Appalachian mountains as a backdrop, it can truly be breathtaking. I feel very fortunate to live in a state with such untouched natural beauty.

Which aspect/feature of Fenway Park would you most like to experience?
Admittedly, I have never been to Fenway! However, this will
change July 9th when I am there for Vermont Day. I can’t wait to watch an actual game in person (and see the Red Sox win), it will be my first professional baseball game! I am also very excited to go to Jersey St/Yawkey Way.

Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
J. D Martinez. He is an outfielder and that’s the position I (attempted) to play in softball so I have a lot of respect! His high number of home runs and RBI’s help too!

How will the Red Sox finish the 2018 season?
Finishing as the top team in the AL East and going on to win the 2018 World Series!

---

Obviously, I think she’s absolutely right!

As usual, I want to give huge thanks to Julia for doing this interview, especially knowing how much she’ll need to do before Miss America. I also want to thank her for providing the pictures to accompany the interview. They definitely make the interview a lot more fun to read.

As Julia continues her time as Miss Vermont, I encourage you to follow her on the official Miss Vermont social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. 

I also absolutely want to wish Julia luck this fall as she competes for the Miss America crown! Once again there will be several Section 36 visitors gracing the stage in Atlantic City. It would be incredible to have her take home the title! 

Thanks again Julia, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week