Friday, June 15, 2018

Megan Sylvia Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Megan Sylvia is a lacrosse player, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss South Coast. Right now she's in
the home stretch as we get closer to the Miss Massachusetts competition. I’m so excited that she was willing to take the time out of her schedule to talk about those topics, and a few more. I bet you’ll enjoy reading everything she had to say!

So, let’s see what happens when Megan Sylvia visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate being crowned Miss South Coast?
After the competition my heart was completely filled with gratitude and humility! I was so honored, I still am so honored, to represent the South Coast. That feeling of excitement and electric energy right after the crown was placed on my head still hasn’t worn off. I celebrated by heading out to dinner with my closest friends and family. And I chowed down on a huge dish of cheese ravioli!

What aspect of the upcoming Miss Massachusetts pageant are you most nervous about?
As an athlete I focus a lot on what my body can do, and not so much what it looks like. I push myself daily in the gym to to gain skills that will help me be the best person and lacrosse player I can be, and I’m confident in skills pertaining to strength and agility. But, showcasing my fitness by strutting confidently in a swimsuit is something I haven’t quite mastered just yet! The swim category of competition scares me the most! However, after it’s over I feel fantastic and super confident, it gives me such a rush of adrenaline. But, the nerves leading up to that moment are real!

You’re a member of the Bridgewater State lacrosse team. What is that experience like, especially balancing it with your duties as Miss South Coast?
I love lacrosse, and I feel truly blessed to call myself a Bridgewater
State Bear. I definitely feel most at home and most confident on the field, it’s my favorite place to be. Lacrosse is truly apart of me, and I plan on coaching after I graduate college and continuing my love affair with this game for as long as I am able to do so. My teammates are so supportive of my endeavors on and off of the field. I feel so blessed to be apart of a program where we truly are a family. And I’m so lucky to play the game I love with people I love just as much. My Balancing school work with my duties as and athlete and title holder gets a little hectic at times, but it’s worth every second to be able to partake in two things I’m so passionate about while I obtain an education.

How did you select your platform, “Learning Begins with Literacy”?
My mother is a brilliant educator. She taught for about 20 years before making the transition into administration. She works in an urban school where 80% of her students are living in poverty. She’s very passionate about education, and literacy. And she’s always made sure I know just how valuable my education is. By volunteering at her school, I have seen first hand that the students entering pre-school or Kindergarten are behind the eight ball. It’s important to get them exposed to as much text as possible.  I felt that if I focused on literacy I could help give them a push in the right direction.

As a talented singer, which types of songs are your favorite to perform on stage?
As a performer I really feed off of the audience. I like to sing Pop
Music because its usually really well known. By singing Pop songs I increase my chances of getting the audience to join in, and everyone loves a sing along!

You’re currently majoring in criminal justice. Where do you see that degree taking you?
I’d like to attend Police Academy after graduation, and I hope to eventually find my way into a K-9 department as a K-9 officer. It’ll be a lot of hard work, but so worth it.

Which feature/aspect of Fenway Park would you most like to experience?
I’ve always wanted to sing the National Anthem before a Red Sox game. I LOVE baseball, and I’ve always loved the Sox. It would be such an amazing experience!

Which young Red Sox player are you most excited about? Why?
The young Red Sox player I am most excited about at the moment is Mookie Betts. He has all the makings of a true superstar both on and off the field. Right now he’s one of the best hitters in the game and he’s only getting better. He has already been an MVP candidate and I’m confident he’ll continue to perform at this high level and make Boston proud! He’s a great hitter, a gold glove fielder, and he has some of the best cleats in the game haha

How do you think the Red Sox will finish the 2018 season?
I really feel that the Red Sox have all the makings of a
championship contender. Their pitching is top notch and their roster is filled with a great mix of winning veterans and fresh young talent. If their pitching holds up they have a great shot at winning the Pennant and maybe even the World Series. If Sale, Porcello, and Price can all find their groove and pitch to their full potential at the same time the World Series could be over very quickly!


--------------

That makes sense to me!

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Megan for doing this interview, especially as we get closer to Miss MA. I also want to thank her for providing so many amazing pictures to accompany the interview. The went along perfectly with the interview.

As Megan continues her time as Miss South Coast, I encourage you to follow her on the official Miss South Coast Facebook page. 

I also want to wish Megan luck this month as she competes for the Miss Massachusetts crown! I'm so flattered by the number of visitors to Section 36 who will be joining her on stage for the competition. It’d be fantastic to once again have a prior visitor to Section 36 take home that title! 

Thanks again Megan, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week