Friday, June 8, 2018

Alyssa Maitoza Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has another visitor! Alyssa Maitoza is a dancer, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Bristol County. She is presently
gearing up for the Miss Massachusetts competition at the end of the month. I’m flattered that she was willing to take the time out of her busy schedule to discuss those topics, and a few more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy reading everything she had to say!

So, let’s see what happens when Alyssa Maitoza visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate being crowned Miss Bristol County?
Right after I won Miss Bristol County, I had a cheeseburger and fries! I was so hungry after having such a long day of competition, but after that, I spent time with my family that came to support me that day. 

What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss Bristol County?
I am constantly surprised by the influence I have, especially on young children. When kids see someone with a sparkly crown, they pay attention to your every move. It is such a blessing to be able to be a role model for young girls in my travels, and my favorite moments are when they tell me they'd like to be just like me when they grow up. It seems like I was in their shoes not too long ago, and I am so grateful to have this platform to be a role model. 

You’re a former Miss Massachusetts’ Outstanding Teen, but this will be your first trip to the Miss Massachusetts stage. What aspect of that upcoming competition are you most nervous about?
Most people think I'd be wary of the Lifestyle and Fitness in swimsuit phase, just because this is my first time having to compete in that on stage, but I'm actually really excited for that phase. Much like when I competed at the teen level, I am always most nervous for the onstage question. I absolutely love the interview phase, but the onstage question is so much more of a high pressure situation in my mind. I always have to take a deep breath before I answer, and tell myself that it always ends up being just fine.  

How did you select your platform, “The Arts in Action”?
Choosing "The Arts in Action" as my platform was a no-brainer. It has been my platform since I started competing at the teen level as a 13 year old, and I don't think I would ever change it. I have been singing, dancing, and acting for as long as I can remember, and the performing arts have helped me through every up and down in my life. I have seen firsthand how the arts can make a difference, and I want to be an advocate for how important they are. I am a strong proponent of keeping the arts alive in our school systems, especially since schools are becoming more and more of a stressful environment for kids.

As a superb dancer, what is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage? 
My favorite part about tapping on stage is the audience's reaction. I chose tap as my talent because it is always so awe-inspiring, and people go crazy for tap! 

You recently played the role of Belle in Rhode Island College’s production of Beauty and the Beast. What was that experience like?
Playing Belle was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. Something about her just set my soul on fire, and throughout the process I got so attached to how empowered she made me feel. I loved exploring new ways to make this classic Disney princess more of a strong, and independent woman with each rehearsal. Our wonderful director, Bill Wilson, just kept telling me over and over again, "I am woman, hear me roar," and if one quote were to describe my Belle, it would be that one. I was also so fortunate to have such a supportive cast and crew that I now consider a second family, and Beauty and the Beast will always hold a special place in my heart. 

If you can’t sit in Section 36, where would you like to sit to watch a Red Sox game?
If I could sit anywhere to watch a Red Sox game, I would want to sit close to the dugout, to see the players get ready to knock em out of the park, and so I'd have a nice view of the green monster. 

Who is your favorite Red Sox player? Why?
My favorite player right now is Mookie Betts, because he's a great player, and he has the BEST outfield dance! 

How do you think the Red Sox will finish the 2018 season?
I think the Red Sox could win the World Series this year! 

--------------

I think she’s absolutely right!

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Alyssa for doing this interview, especially since she has so much going on right now getting ready Miss MA. (I should point out that between the times Alyssa did the interview and when I could actually post it, Miss America eliminated the "Lifestyle and Fitness in swimsuit" phase from their competition, although that phase will still be at Miss MA. I think it’s interesting that she was looking forward to that phase.) I also want to thank her for providing the pictures to accompany the interview. They definitely spruce up the post, and make it a lot more fun to read.

As Alyssa continues her time as Miss Bristol County, I encourage you to follow her on the official Miss Bristol County Facebook page. 

I also want to wish Alyssa luck this month as she competes for the Miss Massachusetts crown! It’d be fantastic to once again have a prior visitor to Section 36 take home that title! 

Thanks again Alyssa, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week