Thursday, March 15, 2018

Red Sox Hall of Fame Wantlist

I've mentioned my side collection/project at least once before. As a way to try to expand my collection into the vintage range, I thought it would be fun to collect at least one card of every member of the Red Sox Hall of Fame. Not only that, but the card needed to picture the player as a member of the Red Sox, and needed to be released during the time he played for the Sox. Otherwise I could just use my 2001 Fleer Red Sox 100th Anniversary set, and be done. I wanted older cards, and some variety. 

Now, of course, I'm well aware that I will never finish this set. A vintage Babe Ruth card from his Red Sox days will never never be in my price range. Even a vintage Jimmy Collins, or Tris Speaker, or Cy Young as a Red Sox would need to be practically ripped in half to even approach my price range. Nor could I most likely trade for any of those. I promise you, I have no trade bait that I'm aware of that would get one of those in return. But, that doesn't mean I can't try to do the best I can. So, as a way to keep the list accessible, I'm posting it here. 

I'm especially eager to try and build up the "middle section" of stars. Naturally, players from the 70's on were pretty easy to find. I had at least one card of them somewhere in my collection. (Sure, I'd prefer to have a Roger Clemens '85 Topps as opposed to '86. After all, having the rookie cards would be fun. But it's not a big deal.) And, as I mentioned, the cards of pre-1950 players are a bit tricky. But, the players from 1950-70 should be at least possible to obtain. So here's the list of players. I have no idea if there are actually Red Sox cards from the years they played for all these players, or not. But, hey, if you happen to have extras.

Tony Conigliaro 64-67, 69-70,75
Boo Ferriss 45-50,55-59
Billy Goodman 47-57
Jackie Jensen 54-59,61
Ellis Kinder 48-55
Jim Lonborg 65-71
Frank Malzone 55-65
Bill Mombouquette 58-65
Rico Petrocelli 63,65-76
Jimmy Piersall 1950,52-58
Dick Radatz 62-66
Pete Runnels 58-62,65-66
Reggie Smith 66-73
Vern Stephens 48-52
Frank Sullivan 53-60
Dick Williams HOF 67-69
Don Zimmer 74-80

And, why not? Here's a list of Red Sox Hall of Famers from pre 1950. Happen to have an extra T206 Tris Speaker? 

Bill Carrigan 
Jimmy Collins 
Joe Cronin 
Dom Dimaggio 
Joe Dobson 
Rick Ferrell 
Wes Ferrell 
Jimmie Foxx 
Larry Gardner 
Lefty Grove 
Harry Hooper 
Tex Hughson
Dutch Leonard
Duffy Lewis 
Herb Pennock 
Red Ruffing 
Babe Ruth 
Everett Scott 
Tris Speaker 
Smoky Joe Wood 
Cy Young 

2 comments:

  1. Lot of great names there. Good luck with the quest

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking at your list i just realized i have at least 90% of the 1st list of guys plus dom dimaggio from the year they played and without using the 100 year red sox set i have 80% of the 2nd list in sum form

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week