Monday, March 26, 2018

From Deep in the Night (Owl)

As you're (hopefully) aware, this year Santa brought me two wax boxes. One was 1988 Fleer, one was 1990. I've enjoyed blogging about their pack battles as each pack was opened. But I was unsure what to do with the cards once I was done. I honestly did have much use for those Fleer sets, and didn't expect anyone else to either. Much to my surprise, however, Night Owl let me know that he had a wantlist for 1988 Fleer. Huh. So, once the packs were opened (spoiler alert: the wax battles aren't done in real time) I sent him a stack of cards he needed. 

He was nice enough to repay that effort by sending me a package of cards that I was eager to dive into. 

Let's see what came over.


Here's a collection of heroes from the last Red Sox world championship. When I saw the Ellsbury, my first thought was "huh. Pretty random to have one 2013 Opening Day included in the pile." That's when it hit me. My wantlist! Greg, of course, found cards I needed. So it wasn't a random Opening Day. It was one I needed! Perfect. 


A couple cards of legendary Red Sox teammates. 


I went to a Portland Sea Dogs game several years ago. I was very disappointed that Swihart had caught Owens the night before, and so neither would be in the game that day. I saw Brian Johnson instead. Of course, since then Owens's star faded, while Johnson looks like he may have a future. 


A few cards of recent Red Sox rookies. Of course, Benintendi looks like a star in the making, and Devers isn't far behind. The rookie cup on s rookie card is interesting to me. So Devers was good enough last year to make the all-rookie team, but not good enough to get a card? 


A few cards of probable 2018 rotation members. Getting a new Chris Sale is always welcomed!


And now members of the 2018 bullpen. Kelly is an interesting guy. He could be key if Alex Cora knows how to use him. 


Finally, we have some Red Sox outfielders past and present. Lots of talent from the players on these cards. Rice-Bradley-Betts would be a fun outfield. 

I can't thank Night Owl enough for this great package of cards. He really hit on the variety that makes a package special. And it's always fun to cross off lines on a wantlist!

Thanks Night Owl!

1 comment:

  1. Always enjoy finding a want list!

    Believe it or not, I still need 5 1988 Fleer cards.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week