Thursday, December 14, 2017

Pedro, by Pedro Martinez and Michael Silverman

Pedro Martinez was the Red Sox ace from the second he was
acquired from the Montreal Expos until the second he signed with the New York Mets. Anyone who had the honor of watching him pitch had an experience they won't soon forget. But what drove the man to be the best pitcher to ever hold a baseball? What life events shaped him? How does someone go from a mango tree to the baseball Hall of Fame? This book explores all of that, from Pedro's point of view. 

I'm ashamed that it took me so long to finally read this book. But, once I started I found it impossible to put down. My one complaint? The book is too short. Oh, sure, it brings it for the full 336 pages. But, that covered his entire life. With the exceptional storytelling in the book, I wanted 336 pages on every season. I would eat that up.

Because this book told you everything. There was the "young Pedro" section. Stories from his childhood that I had never heard. He dove into his time in the minor leagues as he struggled to have people believe in him. His time with the Dodgers and Expos was discussed with wonderful detail. All leading to the awesomeness that was his Red Sox career. There were behind the scenes stories that I always thought I knew, but not in the same way. There were new explanations for old events. There was so much, and it never stopped.

Now, I will point out that this was written from his point of view. So, he was never the villain in any of his stories. He was never late, it was always a misunderstanding. Now, knowing what I know about the Boston media, I'm inclined to believe Pedro's version. But, it's worth pointing out that at times it felt a little defensive.

That, however, wasn't nearly enough to take away from all the incredible content in this book. If you haven't read it yet, don't be a baffoon. Go read it today.

Rating: 4 bases

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week