Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Rogue One and the Red Sox Rotation

So, I finally saw Rogue One today. I know. I know. What in the world took me so long? And, of course it was amazing film. But, that's not the point of this post.

Going into the movie, I had one hope. I hoped that I'd see the "real" Darth Vader. See, I always felt we were cheated. Darth Vader is supposed to be the best Jedi ever, right? Better than Yoda, I recall. But, we never saw that. We never saw him go house on a bunch of rebels. I always assumed that his clunky costume in the 70's made it impossible. And, when they did the prequels with the technology that would allow it, he wasn't Darth Vader yet. I thought we were going to get it at the end of Episode II when Ben tossed Anakin the second light saber. "Here we go" I though. But, no. The duel ended in no time. We did, however, get to see the real "Yoda" finally. But, where was Darth?

I got the same feeling with Harry Potter. We never saw him as the dominant wizard. Sure, he had courage and dedication and other great qualities. Blah, blah, blah. But, in the very first book Olivander says he expects "great" things from Harry. Voldemort level things. So I kept waiting for Harry to show that potential. To have that battle where he went all Neo on Voldemort. Where was that? I felt cheated.

What does this have to do with the Red Sox?

I have this feeling with the Red Sox rotation. By goodness it is stacked. The three at the top should be something really special to see. They could be Darth Vader-Yoda-Harry Potter type skills. But, will we get to see them all perform like we want? Will they ever just control the other team like putty in their hands?

Like Pedro did?

I know. I've said it before. It's not fair to compare anyone else to Pedro. But, he did it. He was Darth Vader in his prime with Harry Potter helping him. He didn't get hitters out. He embarrassed them. He could have just struck them out, sure. But he instead struck them out by making them fall down in failure. He toyed with them. He shamed them. He proved he was better than they could ever hope to handle. Then he calmly walked off the mound disgusted that the batter even wasted the time of making Pedro throw three pitches.

So, that's my fear going into this season. I have no fear that the rotation will be bad. I'm afraid that they won't be historic. Because I want that. I want to see the three of them in the top five in Cy Young voting. I want to see them simply dominate.

More than I want to see Darth Vader force push a guy to the ceiling during a battle.

1 comment:

What people are reading this week