Monday, September 26, 2016

Surprise from The Phillies Room

There are few things as exciting as heading to the mailbox, and seeing an unexpected package waiting for you. The anticipation starts as soon as you see it. What wonders could be inside? For me, that anticipation is always heightened when the return address indicates it’s from The Phillies Room. Jim has always been one to surprise me with wonderful additions to my collection. As usual, I was not disappointed with the results. Want to see what he sent? I won’t show you everything, but here are a few of the key elements of the package.


Big Papi.

With less than a week left in David Ortiz’s regular season career, these additions were appropriately timed. Of course, the thing that stuck out immediately (pun intended) is the Fathead. These aren’t something I usually purchase, so it’s always welcome when one is included unexpectedly. In fact, I don’t believe this is the first time Jim has added one to my collection. Is it weird that I’m almost as excited about the perfectly sized rigid holder it came in? Ok. It’s weird. But, will make the Fathead much easier to display. As tempted as I am to actually use the Fathead, wall space is scarce in Section 36. It will be much easier to find a home sitting on a shelf. For now at least. Papi was also represented on a Topps Bunt card. I’ll admit to being confused by this. Topps Bunt is an electronic card set…that has physical cards? I do have a Topps Bunt account (section36), and have been accumulating cards on it. Although, I’m not exactly sure what to do with them now. I also see that the Ortiz card Jim sent says I can “Collect and trade this card in the Topps Bunt app today!” So, maybe if I use the code in very small letters on the back, I can add that card to my digital collection? (Unless, of course, Jim has already added the card to his.) I guess that would be a reason to have a physical card to a digital set. Like Disney Infinity, the physical item would provide the digital access. I guess I should buy some physical Bunt packs at some point. The “Perspectives” card is a fun one, including a great shot of Ortiz making some fans happy. The Walk Off Wins card could be an insert set made up exclusively of David Ortiz cards. I doubt that this is the case. But, this card celebrates Ortiz’s walk-off in game 5 of the 2004 ALCS. I don’t need much convincing to think about that game again.



With the retiring old guy covered, Jim also made sure to remember some rookies. Of course, Ted Williams isn’t exactly a rookie this year, but he once was. This Rookie Sensations card is a fun way to celebrate that. And, a “Rookie Sensation” Williams certainly was. On the back, Topps points out that Williams hit .327 his rookie year with 31 HR and 145 RBI. Just for fun, he added 44 doubles. That’s insane. How insane? In Mike Trout’s first full season he went .326/30/83. Yikes. Of course, the actual rookie included in the package was Yoan Moncada. He hasn’t exactly hit the ground running after making the jump from AA to Boston. But, he was the top prospect in baseball for a reason. Here’s hoping he figures it out, and mans the hot corner for the Sox for years to come.

So, a big thank you goes out to The Phillies Room for those cards, and the rest of the cards in the package. I can’t think of a better way to enhance a long Red Sox winning streak than to get some unexpected cards. Thank you Jim!


I’ll be getting something out to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week