Friday, September 30, 2022

2018 Topps Big League Gold Pedro Martinez

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. As a nod to the Gold Together activities going on this month to help raise awareness of the leading cause of death by disease in children, I thought I'd contribute several "gold" themed posts sprinkled throughout the month. Here's the last one.


Let's talk about this card of my all-time favorite player...



I'm generally not a fan of cards of players produced after their career ended. (Other than one the next year as a sort of recap.) It seems so unnecessary. It also changes the focus of card collecting from baseball fan to team or player fan. If I collect the 2018 Topps set to catalog the 2018 or 2017 season...this card has no place in it. Pedro wasn't on the Sox in 2018 and the stats on the back don't tell me anything about 2017. But, as a Pedro Martinez collector, I need to have this card. At least this one is pretty.

---

If you are able this month, or any month, to support the Gold Together efforts, I highly recommend you consider a donation. You can follow the the link to the American Cancer Society here.

Support their efforts to be Gold Together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week