Friday, July 15, 2022

Hunter Widvey Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Hunter Widvey is passionate about stopping childhood cancer, a talented singer, and the current Miss South Dakota. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Hunter Widvey visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss South Dakota crown?

I haven’t had one specific celebration moment, but have caught up with many friends one-on-one by getting dinner or ice cream! I’ve been traveling to different appearances every weekend since I was crowned, so I haven’t had a chance to really sit down and celebrate! Every day feels like a celebration being Miss South Dakota! 


What is something that Kaitlin O’Neill did as Miss South Dakota that you would like to repeat or expand on?

I love how Kaitlin did a lot with her social media and I’d like to expand upon that! She also started up a local competition, which helped us recruit more candidates this past year. I’d love to continue her efforts and get even more women to participate in the Miss South Dakota Scholarship Organization! 


As Miss South Dakota’s Outstanding Teen 2016, do you think that prior national experience will help you at Miss America?

Absolutely! The Outstanding Teen program gave me valuable skills that helped me earn the title of Miss South Dakota. I feel as though everyone walks away from big experiences like Miss America’s Outstanding Teen reminiscing on moments that they wish they could experience again or even regret certain things as well. I get to have another chance at this experience and now know to enjoy every moment at Miss America! I’m also super excited because several of the girls I competed with at Miss America’s Outstanding Teen back in 2016 will also be competing at Miss America this year with me! This just goes to show how the Outstanding Teen program is super helpful in preparing girls to compete at the next level! 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Childhood Cancer Awareness”?

I lost a classmate to cancer when I was in middle school and my cousin passed away from cancer in her 20s. This led me to look more into pediatric cancer. During this time, I found out that childhood cancer only receives 8% of the National Cancer Institute’s research funds and that there are less than 30 FDA approved drugs to treat childhood cancer. Of these approved drugs, only 2 of them have been approved in the last 20 years. Childhood cancer drugs often aren’t very profitable so drug companies typically don’t voluntarily develop them. This causes many young children to either pass away from cancer or live with chronic health issues or a secondary cancer from their treatment. I also volunteered at the children’s hospital in South Dakota during college and spent a lot of time with pediatric cancer patients. After learning all of these facts about the lack of awareness and funding for childhood cancer, as well as getting to know many pediatric cancer patients, I knew I had to do something. Ever since choosing this social impact initiative, I’ve worked on fundraising and raising awareness for the cause throughout South Dakota and hope to raise awareness and funding at the national level as well by working alongside the American Childhood Cancer Organization.


As a talented singer, what do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

I love the exhilaration and excitement of having everyone in the audience while I sing! It’s such an adrenaline rush! I also love being able to connect with others through music. Music is such a powerful language where I have the opportunity to share a gift of mine to make others feel various emotions. 


You plan on attending medical school after your time as Miss South Dakota. What drew you to that field?

I grew up loving science and knew that I wanted to pursue a career in the STEM field. After losing loved ones to cancer, I developed a deep interest in understanding why certain individuals end up having cancer or other diseases. Because of this interest, I took every biology, chemistry, physics, and math course that I could in high school! I also love working with and helping other people. I decided to give the pre-medicine route in college a go because of these reasons. However, it wasn’t until I started volunteering at the children’s hospital, shadowing physicians, and working in a medical clinic that I realized pursuing a medical career was my true passion. I enjoy working with patients and seeing physicians solve difficult health issues. I have also always been a leader and problem solver, so being a physician seemed like a perfect fit for my passion and personality. Ever since making the decision to attend medical school, it’s only been strengthened through my shadowing, work, and volunteer experiences. I’m so excited to attend Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine next July after completing my year as Miss South Dakota! 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Sage Studios Photography
I would be Jasmine because I was Jasmine in my high school’s musical back in 2017 and wished the magic carpet was real! I’m hoping if I was Jasmine for a week, I could find a magic carpet that actually flies?! Haha


If you had an extra ticket to see a Sioux Falls Canaries baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my sister Hayden because she’s one of my best friends and I’m always looking for an excuse to attend fun events with her! Plus, she’s cooler than me and understands sports like baseball much better than me! 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience ?

I’d like to say it’d be fun to throw the first pitch, but I honestly do not have the best hand-eye coordination so it probably would not work out as well as I’d hope!  It’s probably best I just sit back and enjoy the game lol! I do enjoy singing the National Anthem at baseball games though!


---

I think she should try for that first pitch! 

As always, I want to thank Hunter for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Hunter continues her time as Miss South Dakota, I encourage you to check out her title's website and social media like FacebookInstagram and TikTokThey're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Hunter, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week