Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Sophia Takla Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Sophia Takla is passionate about bringing joy to hospitals, a talented performer, and the current Miss Oregon. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Sophia Takla visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Oregon crown?

Getting right to work! I always promised myself that if I had this opportunity, I wouldn’t waste a moment. I started reaching out and booking appearances and service opportunities immediately, one of which was heading to Pendleton for their Fourth of July parade. This meant so much to me because my mom’s whole side of the family grew up in Eastern, Oregon, and having them there at the parade to celebrate with me was so special.

 

Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Oregon?

I’m dedicated to getting the Miss Oregon Scholarship Program into different parts of the state that we haven’t reached in a long time. There used to be local competitions in Deschutes and Umatilla County, something we’ve been missing- so that is one of my primary goals. I’m currently in the process of securing a new local competition and I can’t wait to share about that when it’s official!

 

What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

Since I am a professional performer, I’m more filled with excitement than nerves. I think those things go hand in hand- and nerves just mean you care! I am so ready to meet my new sisters and form friendships, which I have always dreamed of doing as an MAO fan.

 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Operation Joy”?

I lost my cousin Tristan to pediatric Medulloblastoma when we were both 8 years old. It was my first real experience with grief, but volunteering for organizations that helped my own cousin, like Sparrow Clubs and Children’s Cancer Association, warmed my heart and gave me a sense of purpose in Tristan’s honor. I created my own non-profit initiative Operation Joy as an umbrella term for all the service and fundraising I was doing for like minded, local organizations set on bringing joy into hospitals and lifting up kids during their treatments. To date- I’ve served 13 years for this cause and even created my own Podcast & Blog Duo called Joy From Scratch. It’s all about mobilizing young people to volunteer and giving them the tools and inspiration to do so. Check it out at joyfromscratch.blog

 

What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

The theater industry has struggled greatly since the pandemic and took away so many of my live theater opportunities. Being back on stage means the world to me and fills a hole in my education as much of my Boston Conservatory training moved to hybrid or online for about 2 years. Having my family and friends in the audience is extremely meaningful as well, because they got me this far and sacrificed so much for my theatrical education! I wouldn’t be graduating with my Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theater, without Miss America scholarships and my family’s support.

 

You currently attend Boston Conservatory at Berklee College of Music. Where do you see that degree taking you?

I plan on pursuing a Broadway career as well as exploring film

& television. Performing is what I do best, and I’m so grateful Miss America has given me so many new avenues to do so as Miss Oregon.

 

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I think my personality matches Doug from UP perfectly! I’m just a warm, fun-loving person who wants to help people and make friends. He’s so energetic like myself, and if I could be anyone, we’d be a great match.

 

If you had an extra ticket to see a Red Sox game at Fenway Park, who would you take with you? Why?

I would love to take my dad! He bought my first ever ticket for me to see a game, but wasn’t able to be there with me in person. He was watching on TV back home in Oregon and we texted each other the whole time! He’s particularly obsessed with any time a ball gets hit over the Green Monster, or should I say- Monstah!

 

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game at Fenway that you’d especially like to experience?

I’d love to get closer seats! They’re pretty spendy so I’ve never been super close to the action, so being up close would be such a treat. I would also love it if I could find a gluten free bun for a Fenway Frank, haha! I search for one every time I go but I’ve only been successful once. Usually I end up running around to every concession stand. 


---

Close seats are always fun! 

As always, I want to thank Sophia for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Sophia continues her time as Miss Oregon, I encourage you to check out her title's website and social media like Facebook or InstagramThey're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Sophia, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week