Friday, May 13, 2022

Karson Fair Visits Section 36!

Photo ING Studios
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Karson Fair is passionate about self-worth, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Portland-Metro. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Karson Fair visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Portland-Metro crown?

I celebrated the best way I know how…with a girls’ night! After the competition, some of my best friends (all of which had never attended a Miss America Organization preliminary) came over to my place. My sweet mom was also in town from North Carolina, so getting to celebrate with so many people I love was a true treat! Then, the next day my mom and I headed up to Mt. Hood Ski Resort and took to the slopes to let out the excitement and adrenaline. Snowboarding has become a huge outlet for me, and it was the best way to round out the eventful weekend. 


What part of the upcoming Miss Oregon competition are you most nervous about?

Oh man. That’s a good one! Truthfully, I’m trying to stay away from the nervous energy. Instead, I’m choosing to truly embrace this experience as a gift that I didn’t think I would have (due to the previous age restrictions). In a sense, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. BUT if we’re being honest, I can be my own worst enemy at times and my mind can play some serious tricks on itself. I’m hoping that I don’t put any unnecessary pressure on my performance so I can just bring my most authentic self to the Miss Oregon competition in June.  


After taking a break from competing with the Miss America Organization, what made you decide to give the Miss Portland-Metro crown a try?

Photo StephanieCarine
Although I’m usually a HUGE planner, I would be lying if I told you that my decision to compete in the Miss Portland-Metro competition was one that I had been mulling over for quite some time. In fact, it all came together in a matter of a few weeks and felt like an absolute whirlwind. At the end of the day, all the stars just perfectly aligned. The age limit had changed; I was (and still am) in desperate need of scholarship money as I’m pursuing a graduate degree; I met with Allison Cook (former Miss Oregon America and Miss Oregon USA) to learn more about the Miss Oregon Program and learned that the only regional competition I was eligible for was just a few weeks away, so the clock started ticking. There was a part of me that was terrified to compete again because although MAO has undoubtedly shaped my life—from being North Carolina’s Outstanding Teen in 2014, to helping pay for out-of-state tuition while attending Auburn University, and all the life skills in between—there was a time I didn’t know who Karson was outside of the program. I spent years figuring out just who I am outside of a “title”, and I was scared to fall back into old patterns while competing. However, the fear of having “what ifs” outweighed it all, and I also knew that my deep appreciation for the program + the life experience and insight I’ve gained while taking a step back would make this experience unique and worthwhile. The program has changed since I first competed as a teen in 2014, and so have I. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Know Your Worth”?

I naturally, yet strategically, selected my social impact initiative based on a few goals that I had: 1) I wanted my social impact to be an extension of something that I was already passionate about spreading and promoting in my daily life. 2) I wanted to be sure the message I was sharing would be relevant to anyone I meet regardless of age, socioeconomic background, race/ethnicity, or stage of life. 3) I wanted to meet a need that I noticed in my local community and the world around me. Starting critical conversations about unconditional self-worth and recognizing our own inherent value has always been important to me and is something I’ve noticed that we all need to be reminded of. I love being a human connector, and this message gives me the opportunity to have meaningful and intentional conversations with people in my community, profession, and daily life.  


What do you enjoy about performing your talent on stage?

Photo Lenn Long
Everything! But for me, it all starts with the song choice. I intentionally select a piece that will allow me to HAVE FUN and let go on stage! When it comes to the competition, all the practice and prep is complete, and it is my goal for the audience to have just as much fun watching my performance as I am having actually doing it.  


How would you complete the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when ___”?

…I find a great new Gluten-Free restaurant in town. HA! Kidding. Well, not really…I love food! But beyond a physical sense, I get great satisfaction when I meaningful interactions with other people. 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Oof. Admittedly, I am not a huge Disney gal. However, I have always been obsessed with Belle. As a kid, it was her beautiful yellow ball gown and kindness that I loved. I mean, I did BEG my mom for a “Belle Dress” when visiting Disney as a child (sadly, we couldn’t afford one so that dream never came to fruition). But now, I think it’s her open mindedness, free spirit. appetite for adventure, compassion, and, you can’t forget, her stubbornness that draw me to her. 


If you had an extra ticket to a Hillsboro Hops baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

I’d probably bring my friend Abby. Not only is she always down for a fun, spur of the moment adventure, but she always brings a cheery attitude to anything she does. We would have the best time! Plus, it’s one of the few local sporting events that neither of us have attended (yet) so we could both cross that off our list. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I have always wanted to throw the first pitch at a baseball game, and I just might be getting that opportunity in a few months with the Portland Pickles! I am SO stoked! Fun fact: I played softball for roughly 4-5 years, but it has been a hot minute since I’ve stepped foot on a mound so I should probably start practicing soon! 


---

I'm sure she'll be amazing! 

As usual, I want to thank Karson for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Oregon! It would be fantastic to have the first Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Karson during her journey as Miss Portland-Metro. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Karson, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week