Friday, May 6, 2022

Shakira Jackson Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Shakira Jackson is passionate about voting, a talented singer, and the current Miss Steel City. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Shakira Jackson visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Steel City crown?

I went to Pittsburgh's best restaurant Eddie Merlot's Prime Aged Beef & Seafood, and directly after winning, I called my mom, who is one of my biggest cheerleaders, and we screamed and cried because this was such a milestone for my family. My mom got pregnant with me at a young age, so she did not get a chance to pursue pageantry, and she tells me every day I am her second chance.


What part of the upcoming Miss Pennsylvania competition are you most nervous about?

I am most nervous about modeling my gowns. I tend to put a lot of my personality into my stage presence, not that this is a bad thing; I just fear it might be a little too much. That is why I decided to get a pageant coach since I did not have a lot of coaching on my stage presence. With the help of my coach, I will win states!


What is something that Meghan Sinisi is doing as Miss Pennsylvania that you would want to emulate?

Something that Meghan Sinisi is doing as Miss Pennsylvania that I would want to emulate is speaking at local events and implementing my platform in creative ways. I think Meghan does a great job with communication and spreading awareness about her social impact, and just like her, I want to connect with different audiences and make people feel inspired and empowered.


How did you select your social impact initiative?

I have also been politically involved in the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia community, so my social impact came from my passion for civic engagement. I have worked as a poll worker and have even had the chance to testify to the Pennsylvania commission about fair redistricting map drawings. I chose my social impact off of what was close to home for me because I have seen people in my community lose hope in our democracy, and I want to change that narrative. Not voting is giving up your voice, and it sucks that people are losing hope in our system. I just want to be the change I want to see, and I want people to see the power voting yields. 


What do you enjoy about performing your talent on stage?

I enjoy storytelling and allowing people to tune into my emotions. Music has always been a source of expression and outlet for me, and I enjoy sharing my talent, which is singing, because it allows people to take a walk through all of my pain and happy moments. Music has also brought people together around me, so that is an element I love to share as well.


You’re currently studying politics at University of Pittsburgh. Where do you see that field taking you?

I see this field leading me to one day be a political representative and, most importantly, guide my work in the lead and serving others. To me, community service and outreach are everything. Someone has to take the initiative. I come from a long line of people who have dropped out of school, become teenage moms very young, and were very limited in opportunity. I take all of my generational stories as motivation because it allows me to create opportunities for the next. I am a first-generation college student graduating a year early, and I will still be twenty years old when I receive my bachelor's degree; I will be attending Georgetown University in the fall, continuing my education in Democracy and Governance and Law.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would be Princess Tiana. I would choose her because, just like her character emphasis, I believe in hard work taking you far. I come from a very impoverished background, but when people look at me, they don't see where I come from but rather where I am going. Also, just like Princess Tiana, I believe I am almost there! I want to one day run for office, and we need more young people who are willing to run, so I've been preparing for my campaigning announcement and more information to come soon about this.


If you had an extra ticket to a Pittsburgh Pirates game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my grandma Sharon. My grandma has been one of my biggest supporters since I started my Miss America journey, and that's a debt I will never be able to repay, but I know she has also never been to a Pirates game but has always wanted to, so if I could make that dream come true for her I would, and I plan to! It will be an experience for the books!


Is there a feature or activity at a game at PNC Park that you’d especially like to experience? 

I would love to attend a Pittsburgh Pirates game as I have not gotten a chance to, and since the pandemic limited a lot, I am super eager to go to a game in the next month and make an appearance as Miss Steel City and as a super Pirates fan! Also, I am looking forward to trying the stadium food as all of my friends have bragged about it.


---

PNC is absolutely a great place to watch a game! 

As usual, I want to thank Shakira for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Pennsylvania! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Shakira during her journey as Miss Steel City. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account and her personal Instagram. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Shakira, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week