Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Olivia Matas Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Olivia Matas is passionate about elder advocacy, a talented singer, and the current Miss Riverside City. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Olivia Matas visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Riverside City crown?

After the long and exciting night, my family and I thought it was only appropriate if we had dinner at the Mission Inn! Their creme brûlée with coffee was delicious.


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Riverside City competition that will help you when you compete for Miss California?

Interviews are pretty nerve wracking as it is, but if you keep in mind that this is just an opportunity to speak about yourself and what you're passionate about, it’s just like talking to your family and friends. 


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Riverside City?

With places opening up more and more, I would love to start volunteering at senior homes again. When I lived in Texas, I used to do nail painting and wheel chair dances with the residents and they would always tell me how much they adored those events.


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Elder Advocacy”?

Growing up, I had to watch my great grandmother (G.G. Mary) be abused from nursing home to nursing home. Even with some family members. Since then I’ve dedicated my life to helping the elderly and currently pursuing a Bachelor degree in Sociology with a specification in Gerontology.


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

I’m a sucker for sad songs. I love how emotional and really dramatic you can get with the performance! When I pick songs I usually pick songs that some of the residents from the senior homes particularly like as an homage to them. 


How would you complete the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when ___”?

I get great satisfaction when I know I’ve done my absolute best effort with a task. It doesn’t matter if I succeed or not, just knowing I did my best is enough for me.


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

First character that comes to mind is Tinker Bell, her sassy personality and her tinkering skills are things I find so charming. Plus, how cool would it be to fly around as a fairy for a week?


As a Dodgers fan, what were you doing when they won the 2020 World Series?

Not only am I a Dodgers fan, but I’m also a full time student! Unfortunately I was spending my time studying and taking midterms, but, next year (when they win again) I’ll be sitting in the front row. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

It has always been my dream as a kid growing up and going to baseball games to be a part of the side games they have on the field! Even when I sit in the nosebleed section, I still jump up and down, waving my arms around to maybe get a chance at being part of those audience participation games. 


---


That is always so much fun!


As usual, I want to thank Olivia for visiting with us, and for sending along the picture to go with the interview.


As Olivia continues her time as Miss Riverside City, I encourage you to check out her title's Instagram account! It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on! 


I also want to wish Olivia luck when she competes for Miss California! It would be fantastic to have the first Section 36 Forever wear that crown.


Thanks again Olivia, and good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week