Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Maleah Eschenbaum Visits Section 36!

Photo: Molly Taylor
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Maleah Eschenbaum is passionate about raising awareness of ASL and the deaf community, a talented performer, and the current Miss Missouri Valley. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Maleah Eschenbaum visits Section 36! 

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Missouri Valley crown?

After earning the title of Miss Missouri Valley all the candidates had a lot of pictures we had to take. I also stayed on the campus of the University of South Dakota, where the competition was held, and took some pictures outside in the natural light- talk about sparkle. Once I got back to the car, I called my grandparents and my parents since they stayed back home while I was at the competition. My Aunt, sister, and I were able to go out for dinner at a local restaurant after and have a celebratory dinner.


What part of the upcoming Miss South Dakota competition are you most nervous about?

I don't know that I am necessarily nervous about any parts of the competition itself. I am a firm believer that as long as you do all the preparations you can beforehand whatever happens, happens. Coming into Miss South Dakota week this past summer I was nervous about all of the unknowns that the week would hold. I think that still is true coming into my second Miss South Dakota competition. I think what makes me the most nervous is all of the production numbers that we will learn for the show. With all of that said though I am excited to spend the week with the amazing young women that are also competing for the job of (the 75th!) Miss South Dakota and experience a true Miss South Dakota week!


What is something Kaitlin O’Neill has done as Miss South Dakota that you would want to emulate?

Photo: Molly Taylor
I think something that Kaitlin has done that I want to emulate, even as a local titleholder, is her willingness to help others. Kaitlin and I grew up dancing at the same studio in my hometown, so she was always someone that I looked up to and she was always willing to help when she could. Whether this was in dance or out in the community Kaitlin was always someone that you could count on. I remember when I signed up for my first local Miss America competition, I messaged Kaitlin and she helped me through paperwork and choosing a Social Impact that meant something to me. She was one of the first people that really showed me the true meaning of sisterhood within the Miss America Organization and for that I am grateful.


How did you select your social impact initiative?

Photo: Molly Taylor
My Social Impact Initiative is called More Than Looks. It focuses on raising awareness of ASL and the Deaf community specifically here in the state of South Dakota. I chose this Social Impact Initiative because I was an American Sign Language Interpreting major in college, graduating in May of 2021. Through my experiences in college, I realized that not many people understand the importance that not only ASL plays in daily life but also the importance that the Deaf community has had on our communities, states, and nation. Most people when they first meet or see a Deaf person get nervous because they, as hearing individuals, don't know how to communicate with someone that can't hear. Since starting with the Miss America system back in 2019, I have been able to partner with my hometown's Recreational and Cultural Center to provide Introduction to ASL classes for the last three years. I have also been able to go into classrooms to talk with kids from ages 5-6th grade about how important learning another language, specifically ASL, can be. I came up with the name More Than Looks because ultimately ASL and the Deaf community are more than they look like. There is a deeper meaning and reasoning behind every sign and every choice made. After all the only thing Deaf people can't do is hear.


What do you enjoy most about performing your talent on stage?

Photo: Molly Taylor
My favorite part about performing my talent on stage is bringing music to life. For my talent, I am able to perform a song in ASL bringing in a different language and culture and mixing in a little bit of my dance background. In the past, I have performed to everything from Sia to Brother Bear to the Greatest Showman. I am so excited to be able to expose people to how beautiful ASL truly is in a way that the audience can understand. Since Miss South Dakota this past summer I have worked hard to perfect my talent and have it stage-ready and better than ever. At Miss Missouri Valley I was honored to tie for top talent, which helped me realize just how impactful my talent can truly be.


You recently graduated from the Augustana University Sign Language Interpreting program. Where do you see that field taking you?

Photo: Molly Taylor
May 2021 was an exciting time for me! I graduated from Augustana with my Bachelor's Degree in Sign Language Interpreting as well as competed for Miss South Dakota for the first time. My future in the Interpreting field has led me back home to the public school district where I am currently working as an Educational Assistant and substitute interpreter. I am hopeful that next school year I will be a full-time on-staff interpreter for the district. I am working on studying and getting ready to take my national certification exams within the next year and I hope to continue growing and learning in the interpreting field through workshops, mentors, and Deaf individuals.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

If I could choose to be a Disney character for a week I think I would choose to be Moana. She has a free spirit about her and she doesn’t let anything hold her back from what she is meant to do. Also, I think living on a tropical island would be a fun change from the South Dakota fall that we are living in right now. 


If you had an extra ticket to a Minnesota Twins game, who would you take with you? Why?

If I had an extra ticket to the Minnesota Twins, I would definitely take my dad. He loves watching the Twins play on TV and their opening game is like a holiday in our house. I don’t think I would tell him too far in advance that we were going though because it would be fun to surprise him right before we left to go to Minneapolis. This past year for their opening game he had his pillow, blanket, t-shirt, jersey, hat, and towel all on him while he watched the game because he was just so excited. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I really enjoyed the atmosphere the last time I was at the Minnesota Twins game. And it’s been a while since I got to watch a game in person, so being able to go back to the stadium and watch the game in person would be awesome! I also think it would be super fun to throw a first pitch, but I have some of the worst hand eye coordination. So, I don’t know how well that would go. 



---


I'm sure that would be a great experience!


As usual, I want to thank Maleah for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.


As Maleah continues her time as Miss Missouri Valley, I encourage you to check out her title's Instagram and Facebook accounts! They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 


I also want to wish Maleah luck when she competes for Miss South Dakota! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.


Thanks again Maleah, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week