Friday, September 3, 2021

Callie Cox Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Callie Cox is passionate about inclusion, a talented singer, and the current Miss Missouri. I was so glad that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I was also excited that she was the first visitor from the state of Missouri!

So, let's see what happens when Callie Cox visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Missouri crown?
After packing up all of my things from the dressing room, my parents and I drove 20 minutes to Denny’s and had a pancake celebration at 11pm. My parents are my biggest and greatest supporters, so having that time with just the two of them after probably the wildest night of my life was a very sweet moment I will keep in my heart for a long, long time. 

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Missouri competition that will help you at Miss America?
You know, I really learned the importance of taking time to be in silence. I feel like Miss Missouri week was a whirlwind. I loved chatting with my Miss MO sister and spending time with the teens during rehearsals and constantly thanking volunteers, but that time in my dorm room where I was able to just sit and soak in what was happening in silence continued to ground me amidst the chaos that is competition week and that is something I will for sure be taking into Miss America. I mean, I’m competing for MISS AMERICA. My time in Connecticut is something I want to never forget, no matter what happens. 

Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Missouri?
I really really want to shine a light on businesses that employ individuals with disabilities across the state of Missouri. They are such an integral part of inclusion and they deserve all the recognition! 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “People First”?
People First was truly a no brainer for me. The trajectory of my life has been greatly impacted by my friend, Nick, who has truly changed my life for the better when we became close friends in middle school. We both have a huge love for musical theatre and the arts and when we were partnered together for a performance in seventh grade, I saw him as a performer who craved a stage and not someone with a diagnosis of Autism… Through this epiphany in middle school, I decided I wanted it to be my life’s goal to advocate for inclusion and the Miss America Organization is the perfect platform to do this.

As a talented singer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?
I love a stage. Especially when I'm able to interact with the audience. The pieces I choose to perform are typically jazzy and allow me to add so much personality and interaction within my performance. That’s definitely my favorite part! 

How would you complete the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when ___”?
People feel seen and heard by me. My mission in life is for every person I interact with to feel valued and important. My heart is full when I am able to do this for all individuals. 

If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?
Most definitely Rapunzel from Tangled. She’s driven, has the cutest sidekick and really isn’t the "typical" princess who is prim and proper…. Which I love! 

If you had an extra ticket to a Royals-Cardinals baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?
Miss America 2017, Savvy Shields. I would love to personally receive wisdom and advice from her in a casual way where there isn’t any pressure to have the perfect sentence or speech. It would be so fun to just enjoy a frozen lemonade and ask her questions about her journey not just as a past Miss America, but also her life outside and after the crown. 

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?
I would love to sing the National Anthem at a Cardinals game… And something may be in the works so stay tuned! 


---


That would be exciting! 

As always, I want to thank Callie for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Callie continues her time as Miss Missouri, I encourage you to follow her title's Instagram and Facebook accounts. You should also check out the official Miss Missouri website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

 
I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Callie, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week