Thursday, August 19, 2021

Jaelyn Wratchford Visits Section 36!

Photo: Jenny DiCola
Section 36 has another visitor! Jaelyn Wratchford is passionate about ending youth empowerment, a talented orator, and the current Miss West Virginia. I was excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.
 
So, let's see what happens when Jaelyn Wratchford visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss West Virginia crown?

After earning the job of Miss West Virginia, I celebrated with my extensive support system. None of my accomplishments would be possible without them, and it was incredibly rewarding to celebrate our hard work with them. Together we attended the Miss West Virginia Gala and recognized each candidate. It was so special to share the excitement and joy with everyone.


What did you learn about yourself during the Miss West Virginia competition that will help you at Miss America?

Competing in the Miss West Virginia Organization has taught me many things. Most importantly, it’s taught me trust-- to trust in the timing of my life, in my capabilities, and in those around me. I’ll be competing alongside 50 strong, compassionate women at the 100th anniversary of Miss America with a newfound confidence and trust in my capability to impact the world.


What part of the Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

Nerves are completely normal when beginning newadventures. I tend to get nervous about the events leading up to competition rather than the phases of competition. I worry about traveling to Connecticut, packing everything I need, checking into the Mohegan Sun, things like that. I know I will perform to the best of my ability, and I know the outcome isn’t in my hands, so I don’t worry about those things.


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Investing in our Future: The Impact of Youth Empowerment”?

My social impact initiative was born from my love of West Virginia and its children. I fully believe the future of West Virginia and our nation is in the hands of our future generations, and it’s our responsibility to equip them with the tools needed for success. Our future leaders need equal access to opportunities and the confidence to utilize those opportunities.


How do you come up with the monologue to perform on stage for your talent?

The talent phase of competition is my opportunity to share anything I want with the judges, candidates, and audience. For my talent, I chose to use my passion for writing to share a message of empowerment and love. I wrote it when I was only 16 years old, and it’s grown with me during my journey in the Miss America Organization.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

If I could be a Disney character, I’d be Belle. As a child, Belle was my favorite princess. I share her love of reading and compassion for people. When I was young, I carried a little green dictionary around with me, and I often stayed up past my bedtime reading. Belle’s library is certainly something out of a fairytale.


You’re currently double majoring in business administration and psychology. Where are you hoping those fields take you?

I’m currently earning bachelors degrees in psychology and business administration, and I’m in the process of applying to the master’s program at Shepherd University to earn my MBA. With these degrees, I plan on entering the field of strategic communications. I will use my skills to help non-profits develop in the business world, teaching them tools they need to be successful.


If you had an extra ticket to see a West Virginia Power baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

If I had an extra baseball ticket, I’d invite my younger brother. He’s 11 years old, and he plays baseball in a local league. He loves playing catcher and learning everything about the game. I don’t know much about baseball, but I know he’d teach me everything I’d need to know.


Is there a feature or activity during a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’d love to kickoff a baseball game with the first pitch! I’m not sure the pitch would be any good as I never played softball, but the experience would be so much fun!


---

I'd love to do that too! 

As always, I want to thank Jaelyn for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Jaelyn continues her time as Miss West Virginia, I encourage you to follow her title's Instagram and Facebook account. You can also check out the Miss West Virginia website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

 
I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Jaelyn, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week