Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Jessica Criss Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Jessica Criss is passionate about self defense, a talented singer, and the current Miss Montana. I was excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I was also excited that she was the first visitor from the state of Montana!
 
So, let's see what happens when Jessica Criss visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Montana crown?

I had wanted to be Miss Montana since I first competed as a freshman in college, so I celebrated by video calling my mom and crying with her and the people who had come to the competition to support me!


What has been the most pleasant surprise about your time as Miss Montana?

I have loved how often students love learning about martial arts and how to use it to defend themselves!


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Montana competition that will help you at Miss America?

Montana is a rough state: from the altitude, to the weather, to the wide expanse of wilderness between towns... Every single contestant at Miss Montana showed that resiliency that only can be brought about in a place like this. I hope to capture that aspect of Montana and bring it with me to Miss America, and every difficult job I have in the future. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “A Sense of Defense”?

Photo: Danielle Wineman
I grew up in a dojo (or training gym) because both my parents are third degree black belts in Japanese Jiu jitsu. For as long as I can remember, I have been discussing ways to keep myself safe, and training those skills to allow me to protect myself.  It wasn't until I attended college that I realized how few people have the ability to say they can defend themselves. As Miss Montana, I travel the state teaching basic self-defense movements with hopes that every student will continue to learn new ways to keep themselves safe. 


As a talented singer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

In my experience, music has impacted every single person on this earth.  From a method of self expression, to passing along tribal or generational music to connect a culture, or even teaching songs to memorize information in school!  Music seems to have a different impact on each listener.  When I sing, I love being able to connect with people.. maybe even in ways I don't yet understand!


You have a degree in equine science. Where would you like to see that degree take you?

Some day, I would love to open my own therapeutic riding facility! Every single person who would want to experience healing or transformation through the eyes of a horse will be welcome. From running after school programs, to youth camps, regular therapy, or veterans programs... I would love to show my community the same growth that I discovered through working with these beautiful creatures.


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I love Disney! So asking which Disney Character I would want to be is difficult... Right now, I think my answer would be Jane!  I love traveling and adventure, so it would be a dream to be able to be in Africa, surrounded by animals, and swinging through the trees!  


If you had an extra ticket to a Pioneer League baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

I have had the absolute pleasure of making friends with lots of baseball fans... So I think it would be a hard choice between my high school best friend, Mykah, or another Miss Montana contestant, Alissa!  Because of their love of the sport, and hilarious sense of humor, I can imagine that any baseball game with either of them would be fantastic!


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

It has been said that there is nothing more American than a home baseball game!  So to have a truly American experience, I would love to sing the National Anthem to a packed baseball stadium, standing out on the pitcher's mound!  To top it off, maybe even throw the ceremonial first pitch!?


---


Yup. That sounds perfect to me! 

As always, I want to thank Jessica for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Jessica continues her time as Miss Montana, I encourage you to follow her title's InstagramFacebook, and TikTok accounts. You should also check out the official Miss Montana website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

 
I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Jessica, and good luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week