Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Laura Dineen Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Laura Dineen is passionate about adaptive sports, a kinesiology student, and the current Miss Urbana. I was excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Laura Dineen visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Urbana crown?

 Winning the crown was such a special moment for not just myself, but for all of my family and friends that supported me throughout my journey in preparation for my competition! After my crowning moment, we all went to a local pizzeria called Pistarros and had dinner. I absolutely love vodka sauce and penne pasta, so I made sure to order that along with a tiramisu for dessert! Being a foodie, it was a great way to end the night and celebrate winning my scholarship and title. 

 

What part of the upcoming Miss Maryland competition are you most nervous about?

I genuinely enjoy each area of competition because every

Photo by Rebecca Mitchell
aspect prepares me in a different way, both as a person and as a candidate for Miss Maryland. Since I am not formally trained in the performing arts, I do get nervous at the idea of performing my talent in front of a large audience! However, I try to dispel those anxieties by remembering how privileged I am to showcase a unique talent on the Miss Maryland stage. One that empowers women of all ages and abilities to utilize fitness as a way to strengthen themselves intrinsically and extrinsically!

 

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Urbana?

I hope to see my community service and involvement with my social impact initiative to have a lasting impact that far surpasses the last two years of service that I have had as Miss Urbana. I would love for my local and state community to continue to benefit from my virtual and in-person appearances that have sought to partner with, educate and assist in the lives of those with disabilities so that they can have greater access to better health and wellness. 

 

How did you select your social impact initiative?

My younger brother Ryan was the inspiration behind my social impact initiative: “ABLE to Achieve”. Growing up with a sibling that had cerebral palsy gave me so much insight and first hand experience with members of the disabled community and the struggles they often face when it comes to accessibility and inclusion in their local communities. Ryan has provided me with the lens to see many of these disparities and because of his voice, I hope to act as an ally and assist in bringing better equity so that all people can have access to physical activity and the benefits that exercise provides. 

 

You’re currently studying kinesiology. How do you become interested in that field?

Since I was in high school, I have always had a passion for

health, nutrition and exercise. When it came time for me to decide a STEM pathway for my pre-med major, I knew Kinesiology would be the perfect fit. It is such a practical field of study that teaches you how the body works and the best ways to train it for optimal health. I particularly love debunking myths that are popular in the fitness community! Whenever someone tells me about “spot reduction” or other gym-based myths, I love being able to educate them and help assist in their fitness goals so that they can achieve the results they are looking for without having to adhere to crazy recommendations, such as doing hundreds of sit-ups in the hopes of a six-pack. 

 

What is your personal fitness routine?

My goal in fitness is not a certain physique or aesthetic, but rather I aim to be able to do what is called function fitness--meaning that I prepare my body for all kinds of activities--such as weightlifting, cardio and everything in between! I never like feeling limited in my training so every week I try to incorporate stretching, heavy lifting, plyometrics and cardiovascular training into my schedule! Most recently, I decided to train for an Olympic Triathlon which has led me to include a lot of long bikes, swims and runs into my weekly gym sessions!  

 

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Photo by Rebecca Mitchell

I would be Mulan! As a Puerto Rican woman, I strongly ally with her duty to family and loyalty to her country, two attributes that were heavily ingrained in me since I was a little girl from my mother and grandmother! Mulan is also a warrior and I have always admired her strength and fearlessness to fight for what she believes in. I would like to think that if I could be her for a week I could match her fiery spirit and go on some wild adventures! 

 

If you had an extra ticket to a Baltimore Orioles game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my younger brother Ryan! He is a huge sports fanatic and I know he would enjoy getting to experience Camden Yards stadium and see the athletes. It would definitely be a step above the Big Screen!

 

Is there a feature or activity at an Orioles game that you’d especially like to experience?

It has been such a long time since I have been to a baseball game in person! I think the last time I went was when I was twelve years old! I would love to experience an in-person game as an adult and have the American experience: grab a hot dog, be with friends, have good seats and maybe even get the opportunity to throw the first pitch!


---

That sounds like a wonderful time! 

As always, I want to thank Laura for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Laura continues her time as Miss Rolling Plains, I encourage you to follow her official Instagram and Facebook accounts. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss Maryland title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!
 
Thanks again Laura, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week