Friday, December 18, 2020

Sophie Phillips Visits Section 36!

Photo by Paul Sirochman
Section 36 has another visitor! Sophie Phillips is passionate about environmental racism, a talented pianist, and the current Miss Milford. I was excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Sophie Phillips visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Milford crown?
I hugged my cat and dogs and ate a nice dinner with my family!

This year’s Miss Milford competition was virtual. What did you like about that experience?
At the time of the pageant, I was going to be visiting my family in New York. When I found out the date of the pageant, I was going to have to cancel my drive up. Because it ended up being virtual, I was able to visit them AND compete at the same time. I feel it gives more girls a chance to compete because they have the flexibility of being anywhere and they don’t have to risk exposure to COVID-19.

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Milford competition that will help you at Miss Delaware?
I learned that my platform is one that a lot of people don’t know much about. It gave me the confidence and drive to dive into my platform more and think of creative ways to teach the public about environmental racism issues in my state and in the country as well as ways to make a difference. That confidence and excitement about change will help me show the Miss Delaware judges what I am capable of.

How did you select your social impact, “Environmental Racism in Delaware”?
My masters thesis is all about environmental justice issues. In my degree program, Energy and Environmental Policy, I’m learning about the history of environmental racism and everything I can do make a change. While learning about issues in my state in particular, I knew I had to educate others about the reality that we live in. My goal is to raise awareness, change policy, and hopefully drive others to want change as well.

As a talented pianist, what do you enjoy the most about performing on stage?
I love getting lost in the music and bringing others into that feeling as well. I often forget the audience is even there!

What is your personal fitness routine?
Before the pandemic, I was going to the gym a lot, often taking spin and yoga classes. Since the pandemic has started, I’ve gotten more into running (even though it does take some motivation to do so). A couple of weeks ago, my parents got a Peloton bike, which has given me the opportunity to get back into spinning. When I was in high school, I completed two 100-mile bike rides in Lake Tahoe, CA, raising over $10,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and in college I was the president of the University of Delaware Cycling Team. Cycling is one of my favorite things to do, so getting back into spinning has been really awesome. I also LOVE hiking! The past few weekends I’ve been able to do some really awesome hikes, like Old Rag in Shenandoah National park and Mt. Tammany in the Delaware Water Gap.

If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?
I would be Snow White because she talks to animals! In addition to environmental justice, I also take a lot of wildlife classes and spent my time in undergrad learning all about the environment. I absolutely love animals, so the opportunity to speak to them would be so rad.

You grew up playing softball. What did you like about that opportunity?
The team atmosphere! We were like a family that always had each other’s backs. 
We each had to play our part to be successful. I am still close with a lot of the girls I played with and I thank them for the love I still have for teamwork and collaboration.

Is there a feature or activity at a Major League Baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?
I always bring my softball mitt to games so I can catch a foul ball, but I’ve never actually been able to. The opportunity to catch a ball, whether it be a foul ball or a home run ball would be a dream. Even better…if I could get the team (preferably the Mets) to sign it for me. I grew up in New York so I’m a huge Mets fan. My dad grew up right next to Shea Stadium, so the Mets have been in our lives forever. If I could meet the Mets, especially members of the 1986 World Series team or Jose Reyes (my favorite player), all my little girl dreams would come true.


----


I wish I could catch a ball at some point too! (I'm going to pretend she didn't mention the 1986 Mets.)


As always, I want to thank Sophie for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Sophie continues her time as Miss Milford, I encourage you to check out her official and personal Instagram accounts. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss Delaware title. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

 

Thanks again Sophie, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week