Friday, December 4, 2020

Elle Mark Visits Section 36!

Photo by
Makayla Rae Photography

Section 36 has another visitor! Elle Mark is passionate about mental health, a talented singer, and the current Miss St. Croix Valley Festival. I was excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Elle Mark visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss St. Croix Valley Festival crown?
The first thing I did was cry a little - I was truly shocked! Then, my family and I went to the local pub and ordered pizza while debriefing the whole day. I had been preparing diligently for a month prior for just one big day - there was a lot to discuss!

What has surprised you about your time as Miss St. Croix Valley Festival?
I was crowned on February 29th, so the pandemic hadn't quite hit yet. Once it did and quarantine began, I thought I would be lacking engagement and volunteer opportunities - which is my favorite part of being a titleholder. However, the COVID-19 pandemic has instead encouraged me to become creative in how I reach the people in the communities I serve and beyond! I found ways to volunteer while practicing CDC guidelines, upped my social media game, and somehow still managed to "meet" new people despite our far distances thanks to Zoom! Though it isn't what I expected, it has truly been a lot of fun.
 
What part of the upcoming Miss Minnesota competition are you most nervous about?
The competition has been postponed to June of 2021, which
has been a blessing in terms of the extra time to prepare. However, I have to admit that I am nervous it may be postponed again! I have been ready to interview for the job of Miss Minnesota since this last May and I am eager to prove to the judges that I would be a phenomenal representative for the organization. I am counting down the days!

How did you select your social impact initiative, “The Campaign to Change Direction”?
I LOVE this question! I was diagnosed with a mental health disorder while in college and I felt very alone. I didn't really want to tell anyone and was ashamed to ask for the help that I desperately needed. I stumbled upon the Campaign to Change Direction as a resource for those who are struggling and for those who love someone that is struggling. As a global non-profit, they are passionate about helping all who are battling a mental health disorder by reminding them that they are not alone and connecting them with local resources to help them heal. 

When I found healing, I got involved with a local Change Direction Steering Committee. I learned they do so much more than just help to treat mental illness, they also work to prevent it through the "5 Healthy Habits of Emotional Well-being"! At the time, I was in school for Public Health and pursuing the title of Certified Prevention Professional. My passion for preventing mental illness and promoting mental wellness came naturally after that! 

I continue to share the "5 Healthy Habits of Emotional Well-being" across the state as a titleholder and I am working to get a local steering committee started in Minnesota. I am eager to continue this work as  Miss Minnesota! 

How would you complete the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when…”?
I am making others happy!
Photo by 
Makayla Rae Photography


As a talented singer, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?
I love taking on a persona of someone else when I am performing! Even better is when I can personally relate to the lyrics and / or character and I can find moments of healing through performing. 

If you could play a role in a Disney musical, who would you choose? Why?
Cinderella! Growing up, my favorite movie was the musical version of Cinderella starring Brandy. I have dreamt of playing her ever since! 

If you had an extra ticket to a Twins game, who would you take with you? Why?
I would definitely take my dad to a Twins game. He is the one who introduced me to baseball at the young age of 6. He was even my T-ball coach! While I wasn't great at playing the sport (I got hit in the eye while playing first base and decided I should stick to performing arts), I always enjoyed watching baseball on our big TV on our porch with him. We still bond over our shared love for the team today! 

Is there a feature or activity at a Twins game that you’d especially like to experience?
The list is LONG for this question, so I'll try my best to narrow it down. I've always wanted to join the "mascot race" they have every game, even though I would definitely lose! I'm sure it is harder than it looks! I also dream of singing the national anthem for the Twins someday... Maybe as Miss Minnesota 2021, eh? 

----

Those would all be wonderful to try!

As always, I want to thank Elle for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.

As Elle continues her time as Miss St. Croix Valley Festival, I encourage you to check out her Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on! You should also check out her website for more help in promoting mental wellness!

I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss Minnesota title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!
 
Thanks again Elle, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week