Friday, May 1, 2020

Riley Slate Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Riley Slate is passionate about homeless healthcare, a talented singer, and the current Miss Brandywine. I was so excited she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let's see what happens when Riley Slate visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Brandywine crown?
After winning, my Mom and I went to our favorite restaurant! Following that, I had to drive back up to school because I had clinical rotations the
 following morning at 8am! I was so happy to win the Miss Brandywine crown and have the opportunity to represent the exact area I am from in Delaware!

What part of the upcoming Miss Delaware competition are you most nervous about?
I wouldn't say that I am nervous about anything, I just want to make sure that I'm able to convey my most authentic self to the judges and to the audience!

What has surprised you the most about your short time as Miss Brandywine?
Definitely all of the love and support I have received from my peers and individuals In the community

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Health for Hope”?
My FAVORITE question! It was through my patients that I was inspired to pursue my social impact initiative, Health for Hope: Providing Healthcare to the Homeless. The  program that I am currently enrolled in, has created a Free Clinic, within the city of Allentown, PA, to provide health care to over 1,000 homeless men in the city. As a student in the program, I volunteer my time to see my own patients, diagnose, and treat this marginalized group of individuals – completely free of charge. The love and gratitude that the men display to myself, as well as my peers, is truly the most rewarding part of the entire experience. To me, it is so important to not only provide these individuals with the care that they deserve, but it is also imperative that as a community, we give them the respect that they deserve.

As a talented singer, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?
I love taking a song that is meaningful to myself, and being able to connect with the audience.

What is your personal fitness routine?
I come from a family of runners, so running has always been a huge part of both my life and my exercise routine. I completed my first marathon in September of 2017, which was a huge bucket list item of mine. Since then, I definitely haven't run anywhere near 26 miles at a time, but I do try to get outside and run every day if I'm able!

What do you remember about attending your first Phillies game?
I was really young, so I don't remember too much, but I definitely remember the Chickies and Pete's fries!

If you had an extra ticket to a Phillies/Red Sox game, who would you bring with you? Why?
My dad of course! He is a huge Philly sports fan and I would love to share that experience with him!

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?
Obviously throwing out the first pitch! I'm not sure if I would be able to actually reach home plate, but I'd like to try!


—-

That would be a wonderful opportunity!

As usual, I want to thank Riley for visiting with us, and for sending along the picture to accompany the interview.

As Riley continues her time as Miss Brandywine, I encourage you to check out her official website as well as official Instagram and Facebook Pages. It’s the best way to make sure you don’t miss out on anything she’ll have going on.
I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss Delaware title. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Riley, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week