Wednesday, February 6, 2019

It's About Time!

Once again, I can read your minds! 

You've seen blogger after blogger post about their first packs of
2019 Topps. It's the yearly ritual where everyone talks about their packs, and their opinions. But, I know what you're thinking. Sure, those other 3036 bloggers who have written about the topic are all well and good. But, what dis Section 36's first packs look like? What does he think about the set?

Well, Section 36 has been having a lot of trouble locating the new Topps product. His local Target has been quite annoying about not stocking the long anticipated cards.

Until now!

So, I finally had the chance to open my first blaster! How did I do? What do I think? Let's find out.


The first Red Sox card of the year! 

In the very first pack of the year, comes the first Red Sox card. Not a bad start! Rafael Devers stares out ready for action. To get it out of the way, I love love love the design. It's simple and elegant. The overly computerized designs of the last couple years are gone. It's just a simple swooping design on one side of the card. It's give a slight 1982 feel, with out looking like a replica. It still leaves plenty of room for the picture, which was the best part of the design the last few years. I really have no complaints.


The design works horizontally as well. That's another problem Topps has been having. the previous designs worked for one, or the other. This one works for both. This picture is just wonderful. It if was a vertical card, it would have been much for stagnant. With the horizontal turn, I can almost feel the ball hurtling towards Mookie's bat.


I like it when Topps has fun with the checklist cards. While the "all smiles" title is a little corny, I have no problem using it to get a card featuring two future Hall of Famers.


My first Red Sox insert! I was glad to get this card, because in an earlier pack I got another Pedro insert...but he was wearing a Dodgers uniform. Bleh. Speaking of bleh? The design of this insert can pretty much be summed up that way as well. Ok, Pedro is one of the greatest players. Yup. Baseball has been around for 150 years. If it's celebrating the 150 years, shouldn't this insert have an old timey feel to it? Or something that doesn't scream "I need an excuse to include these players in the set"? This seems to have had pretty limited thought behind it.


And, the backs. I like the way they keep the same design theme as the front. I also like how it's colorful. I mean, i never see the backs once the cards are in my binders...but it's nice to know that they're there.

So, there are the four Red Sox cards I got in my first blaster. Hopefully there will be many more where those came from!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week